Need Some Advice

rednecking87

Reaction score
I found this truck on CL and wanted to now if you all thought it was price pretty fairly?

Is this a lot of miles?

I want a idi pretty bad but i also don't want to have to dump a ton of money back into it to keep it on the road (even though I hear parts are pretty cheap)LOL

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/2093838562.html

Thanks for all you help, this is a great site to get information from.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing i would do is check nada and see what the value is, from there i would go ck it out in person and see what all has been done to it and what the bottom dollar is.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Doesn't look to bad in the pics however what the pics show and what it looks like in person could be two very different things and usually is. The ONLY way to figure out what your getting and what the truck is truly worth is to go look at it, listen to it and drive it. Make sure you start the truck when it is abosolutley cold and has not been driven. Tell the owner before you get there that you want to start it, listen to it and drive it but after it has sat long enough for the engine to be cold to the touch. Cold starting the truck will tell will tell you a ton about the condition of the motor. The other major thing to check for is blowby........ If the truck has alot of blowby, walk away unless your prepared to spend money on a motor rebuild.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I would say that is high for a 2wd truck. With the a D60 front I could see that price, but around here IDI's are not much more than 1k if you are patient and don't mind a little work. I would try to get that truck for 3500, but not much more.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did it have a new oil pan gasket ? Factory used RTV on the pan. Pic's taken at dusk or when it was dark.? I think 94.5 went with a turbo.

rednecking87

Reaction score
Thanks i am going to look at it tomorrow, so after i take a look at it i'll let ya now. I have wanted a 5 speed, factory turbo idi, one ton, 4x4 for a long time. That combo is not really prevolent around here.

I just wanted to see what you all though if it was worth going to look at.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems pretty good if its a 4wd.can't tell by the pics......least i can't lol and it doesn't say.
overpriced for sure if its just a 2wd.
a little steep for having a quarter million miles,but i wouldn't call it a bad deal either if it was well maintained and appears solid underneath.the pics show she's cherry.

id show up with coolant test strip,and compression tester for this one.ask the owner what SCA's are before showing you brought a strip with ya.
(this way,if he claims to have always kept up on it,and you find no sca levels at all,you'll know how much you can trust his other info about the vehicles maintenance.)
if you don't know how to do a compression test,pay to have a mechanic do it for you should everything else check out ok to you,or search the site to learn for yourself.

ask him what he thinks a good service life of oil and gear fluid are,and what intervals he used.
ask the same question about ip/injectors/fuel and air filter,along with asking about proper CDR maintenance.

he has the truck priced so that he should be on his 3rd set of injectors and 3rd ip.
of which both should currently have 50k on them.
ask him who set the timing for him and what method was used.

a soft cloth and magnet is a nice quick way to find bondo.

grab the VIN and have Jake shoot ya an e-mail of the history:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44574

he should be able to answer all these questions accurately based on the price.if he can't.the vehicle was not maintained as much as he would like to think it was,and the asking price is too high.
don't be afraid to pay over book value.but there better be good reasons for doing so.

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think it is kinda high. But i spent 4800 on my 86 but it is a rust free west coast truck that you dont see on the east coast EVER.

Still think it is high. OBS are still pretty prevelant. I just bought a 99 F550 4x4 7.3 6 speed for 3k w 250k on it.

O and it is a Factory turbo IDI by the vin number

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online