Need smart upgrades

1994IDI

Reaction score
I am a new 24v cummins owner, and after resolving the issue in my first post, I would like to add a little power to my "new to me" truck.
This truck feels very down on power compared to my 12v, and I'd like to up it just a little, but I want to do it the right way. On a recent road trip, I turned out about 18 MPG. bone stock at an average of about 68 MPH. Sound about right? The truck does not put out even the slighted trace of smoke (which I could care less about, but its the first diesel I've had that doesn't smoke at all), and cannot get out of its own way at all.

Anyway, after a fuel pressure gauge, pyro, and boost gauge, I am considering the AirDog 150 http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-4520-pureflow-original-air-dog-100-dodge-cummins-1989-2010.aspx and a 100 hp tune. Are there any other issues I need to address. I know the old Cummins dealt with the KDP. Are there any similar issues with this newer Cummins? Can anyone tell me their personal experience with the AirDog, benefits and downsides, and will I be overfueling?
Anyone recommend a good programmer? I would just like to increase power mildly without wearing out other engine parts, and get the fuel mileage up.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I appreciate any help and hope to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Jared

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would go with FASS ive heard that Airdog has had some customer service problems and that filters are harder to cross for them. Ive had my FASS 95 for 3 years and it has served me well. Your on the right track with the fuel pressure, pyro, and boost gauges. No less than 10psi fuel pressure even at WOT. Also what do you mean by 100hp tune? As far as a programmer are you looking for an all out programmer or just a mild chip?

I have a Diablo Power puck off my 02 thats a pretty nice little step up that i would sell for relatively cheap, let me know if your interested. Heres is the specs on it http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=78

-Jordan-

1994IDI

Reaction score
I was referring to a programmer when I said "tune". I am reading up to learn the difference, benefits and downsides, between chips and programmers. And whether I need to change the lift pump before even a mild upgrade. As well as if I need to change anything else to prep the engine for more power.

Can anyone take me to school? What's your experiences with chips and programmers. I dont want to wear out my injectors or turbo, just bump the power, and increase fuel mileage. I'm only seeing 18 MPG on the interstate right now.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add an intake or a BHAF for some increased response and mpg, mpg's were helped a little with the straight pipe, is it a 4" or 5" back system or jsut a straight piped OEM exahust? Until you upgrade the clutch I would stick with either the power puck as stated or a Quadzilla XZT+ which are both chips. Bigger injetors say around some 75 or 100hp injectors would help as well but thats another one that I would look into an upgraded clutch as well.

-Jordan-

1994IDI

Reaction score
I think it may be the stock exhaust with a muffler delete. It measure just shy of 4" in diameter.
Within the month, I think I will do the gauges with a FASS DDRP, AFE intake, and Banks 4" turbo elbow with downpipe.
I am going to go with Autometer gauges. Should I get an electric fuel pressure gauge, 0-50? Then any mechanical boost gauge up to 30 psi? the 0-1600 pyro will be the third.

My other big question is, do I need to get a full fuel system like the Airdog I posted above, or will I be alright just replacing the lift pump? How do you know if you need the large system (to include the water seperator, and fuel lines etc), over a regular little upgraded lift pump?

Thanks again everyone

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
0-30 fuel pressure gauge would be fine I would look at a higher boost gauge though 22psi is stock max, Im pushing about 34 psi with a stock turbo and a boost elbow at the moment. If your exhaust is just shy of 4" it should be aftermarket. I think factory is like somewhere between 3- 3 1/4". I would look to go a step up from the ddrp it woulnt handle much more than stock and wouldnt handle the fuel demand of a progammer, minimum I would get would be the platinum series, but I would recommend the HD series.

-Jordan-

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online