need help tranny blew

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My e4od auto lost second gear. I either need to rebuild, replace or convert to a manual tranny. Any and all advice, the cheapest route to take etc the best route to take but remember I am retired so $$$$ IS an issue

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I believe the majority here will say convert to a ZF 5 speed. Much more reliable and probably one of the cheapest routes. The only thing cheaper that I could think of is a used E4OD. Thats like rolling the dice in vegas though:eek: Expect $2500 for a quality rebuilt E4OD, installed. Good luck.;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never blow a tranny. That will only start rumors.

Wow... Wheres Russ or Travis when you need them.... Glad I was not drinking anything reading this... And thank God I just finished my chocolate donut... That would have been ugly on the cpu screen... Would have looked like me trying to put a cork back in a pigs butt.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
um if you have a decent tranny shop you may be abull to adjust the band for second gear it has been a wile since iv messed with a e40d but the c6 ik is adjustabull ther really not hard to rebuild or expencive if you can do it your self i try to avoid them bc i think i put thrust bearings in back words or some thing so i tearem apart 3 or 4 times befor i get it all the way back to geather

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... Wheres Russ or Travis when you need them.... Glad I was not drinking anything reading this... And thank God I just finished my chocolate donut... That would have been ugly on the cpu screen... Would have looked like me trying to put a cork back in a pigs butt.

I considered posting a tranny pic ;Really

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
No second gear could be a bad S2 solenoid. Stuck D2 valve. Intermediate clutch piston seal failed or a bad sprag.

If the tranny is in good overal shape. You might get away with fixing the second gear issue only. That will save you some cash.

TTA

Reaction score
Ive got a auto 4x4 tranny from a 1994 turbo diesel and ive got a zf5speed from a idi 4x4. you can have the auto for like 200bucks if you want.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds great how much for both? I will definitely take the auto!! and THANK YOU

TTA

Reaction score
Im in Canada (vancouver island) I have no idea what shipping would cost you but ill give you the auto for 175 bucks and 250 for a zf 5 speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726