need help tranny blew

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My e4od auto lost second gear. I either need to rebuild, replace or convert to a manual tranny. Any and all advice, the cheapest route to take etc the best route to take but remember I am retired so $$$$ IS an issue
If you put the shift selector in 2nd, will the truck move?
Check the connector on the passengers side of the tranny for corrosion, don't pry it up tho, squeeze connector and pull up. check wire harness for burnt wires if the sheet metal heat shield is not there, drop the pan and pull the solenoid pack out and check the resistance of the S2 coil 20-30 ohms or pierce the RED wire to check resistance of S2 to ground. All solenoids should check 20-30 ohms to ground.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
\,move yes but it also slips like a dog and unfortunately what I know about auto trannys could get lost in a thimble LOL I always bought 4 or 5 speeds since the 1970's First gear, reverse, 3'rd and 4th all seem to be fine just second and overdrive are problems, Second slips and OD doesn't want to engage. can a feller just replace the solenoid pack?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
\,move yes but it also slips like a dog and unfortunately what I know about auto trannys could get lost in a thimble LOL I always bought 4 or 5 speeds since the 1970's First gear, reverse, 3'rd and 4th all seem to be fine just second and overdrive are problems, Second slips and OD doesn't want to engage. can a feller just replace the solenoid pack?

If it moves by selecting the different gears 1st -- 2nd and Drive, the solenoid pack is OK then. You will have to or someone else tear it down to see what is worn, sounds like the intermediate clutch regulator valve might be stuck or gummed up or broken spring. that would make the intermediate clutches slip.

Before tearing down, you might try this. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...2609?itemIdentifier=202087&_requestid=1323489

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First let me say that I do not believe in snake oils. Most of them do nothing. Having said that, I have seen this stuff fix many transmissions. Transmission that went on to delivery many more miles. It will, however, obviously not fix hard parts.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...2609?itemIdentifier=521773&_requestid=1483755

Dave

Interesting to say the least. But maybe he can drive until he gets in touch with the guy "ITA" that has a tranny for him. I don't think much of snake oil myself, but it's a shot in the dark.