Need help identifying a 1990 , 7.3 block to rebuild

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking at a complete 7.3 engine to buy to rebuild, it's about 200 miles away, which means so far, only talked to the owner by phone and email pictures of what he has.

I'm looking for the engine serial number, then how to read it to see if it's a turbo block.
Where is the serial number located, and once I get a picture of it.. how do I make it tell me useful information?

The story on the engine is [stories are always true, right?] the engine was taken out of a California truck after CA refused to allow it to pass emissions because it was an "old diesel"...

Supposed to have been a runner, but been setting for more than 5 years in his garage. What is a build core engine worth?

Thanks for your help.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but isn`t it 97 and newer trucks that are smog`d? Maybe they changed the rules.

A core engine is around $500. I picked up one from a
forum member out of a 87 for $250.
Blew the HG. He pulled it to go through it, but came across a 7.3.
I got engine, fly wheel and turbo for the $250.

I think I read the serial # is on the top left corner of the block.

Did a search and found this thread discussing it.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/engine-block-serial-location.38278/

Goat

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
One really quick and nearly foolproof way to tell a turbo block is the port in the top rear that on a NA engine has the oil pressure sender is 1/8 npt and on a turbo engine is the turbo oil supply and 1/4 npt.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
On the CA smog. All of the F-Superduty trucks in CA were killed off by CARB. So if it came out of a FSD the story could true. No other IDI trucks were taken out of service in CA except the rare truck that smoked really bad and wasn’t fixed.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone who replied. I still can't sort out where on the block I would find the number set that gives the serial number.
Anyone got a bare clean block setting around and a picture of exactly where the number set is found?
Or, can tell me where to find the number set?

Thanks in advance.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unless someone ground it off or changed it in some other way, the serial number for a Turbo block will start out with "7.3TU2U". Not the "DU2U" as shown in CharlesG's picture.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One really quick and nearly foolproof way to tell a turbo block is the port in the top rear that on a NA engine has the oil pressure sender is 1/8 npt and on a turbo engine is the turbo oil supply and 1/4 npt.
That is not an absolute, port could of been drilled out has been done.