Need Help - I think I'm getting screwed

stormglove

Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but i'm in desperate need of help here.

I bought an 05 2500 with 179000 miles on it (yeah a lot i know). it ran great for about a month and started to get long starts when the engine was warm eventually no start. Had it towed to a mechanic who found I wasn't getting the right amps to fire it up (no Codes associated). He modified my battery cable (cause he didn't have one on hand) and worked great for a month or so. eventually started doing long starts and I could go under hood and play with cable while someone turned key and get it to fire right up. eventually replaced the bad cable and still long starts with no effect when playing with cable.

Took it to dealership and they said I had one bad injector. Had it replaced a week later car died at stop light. started right up a week or so goes by and back to long starts and running rough at highway speeds. almost sputtered out on road going about 45 then fired back up. went back to dealer 3 more injectors. this was just a week or so ago. still sort of long starts, with a rough idle, and just today after a long start all lights (including warning and headlights) came on, no gages would work (even when I shifted gears). turned off and another long start but fixed the electric problem.

I still have two old injectors but am really confused at what is going on with electric issues and why the deal keeps having me change injectors. Also if you know of any good diesel guys down in Columbus, MS area i'd be grateful. Thank you for any help.

stormglove

Reaction score
Oh and dealer is charging now around 730 an injector. so if I could avoid going to them for the last two that would be great because I really don't trust what they have done. Also, just did the key trick to read codes and got a P1652 still looking to see what exactly that is. Also just did the trip and key on trick and got.

3d 07
68 07
00 00

Last edited:

swuchase1

Reaction score
can anyone help stormglove out i told him there was a lot of helpful people on here am i to think iys only the FORD guys that are helpful ***-ON-MAN help a brother out.PS he is a military guy also THANKS to all

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically injectors "wear" at the same rate...if you have been replacing multiple injectors, then you probably will end up replacing them all before done.

I would have suggested finding a local shop that specializes in diesels, and having your injectors rebuilt.

GWDriver

Reaction score
Have you considered the possibility of a bad fuel pump or fuel filter?? sounds like you might be getting starved for fuel. That can be an intermittent problem.

supachaged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you havent figured out the code it is a code for a short to ground on j1850,meaning the ecm is detecting a short on the j1850.it is the communication between the ecm and all other modules.

P1652-J1850 SHORT TO GROUND

P1652 - J1850 Short To Ground

WHEN MONITORED
While the ignition is on.

SET CONDITION
The ECM detects a short to ground on the J1850.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

ECM
(D25) J1850 shorted
Communication
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. ECM

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the ECM harness connectors.

NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary.

Measure the resistance between the (D25) J1850 circuit in the ECM harness connector and battery negative.

Q: Is the resistance less than 10 Ohms?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Replace the ECM. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

2. (D25) J1850 SHORTED

Measure the resistance between the (D25) J1850 circuit and all other circuits in both ECM connectors.

Q: Is the resistance greater than 100k ohms?

YES: Refer to the Body Diagnostic book Communications section.
NO: Repair (D25) J1850 shorted to another circuit. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

e j1850.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the root of this fellow's issue was injectors. Unless I missed something, sounds like the dealer's screwing him big time. More eager to charge for new injectors than to fix the electrical problem that's the root of the question.

He's got an electrical issue if jiggling the cable while someone's cranking gets the truck to fire up.

Please post back and let us know the resolution...

GWDriver

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the root of this fellow's issue was injectors. Unless I missed something, sounds like the dealer's screwing him big time. More eager to charge for new injectors than to fix the electrical problem that's the root of the question.

He's got an electrical issue if jiggling the cable while someone's cranking gets the truck to fire up.

Please post back and let us know the resolution...

Mikes91,

I thought about this as well but was wondering if the problem might occur when engine load increased, as when begining a hill climb. An electrical short does seem more likely though.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think the root of this fellow's issue was injectors.

Personally, I think its got more problems than just injectors...

179k, of unknown use (or abuse) is going to show wear on the CRD injectors...he has provided no history of the truck that would make me believe otherwise. And further, he had no codes initially; which typically happens with worn injectors...been there, done that.

The short to ground may be from all the recent work he received (a pinched wire in the valve cover box from changing injectors comes to mind) and completely unrelated to the underlying problem...

Elliott

Reaction score
Well Iraq right now but really Evansville IN
Are you getting any smoke cause when I bought my 04 driving down the interstate and get up to about 70-75 and push on the gas it would start falling on it's face and blowing white smoke changed the fuel filter and fixed it. So might try that or could be fuel pressure.