Need help finding replacement front srings

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All

The local stealership quoted me $300 a piece for front spring. Does anyone know of an alternative source for replacement OEM springs? Tuff Country offers a front spring with a 2 inch lift. Opinions? My front end sits a good 2 inches lower than the rear but that’s probably because the spring are so weak. I wouldn’t mind my truck sitting a couple of inches higher, but most important; I want it to sit level. I’ve already thought about air bags, but my front spring are really worn and I want to replace them.

Thanks, Brian

Fireftr_Doug

Let's roll
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna need to replace my front coils pretty soon, too. They're sagging pretty bad. Mine's 4X2 though, I didn't think that they'd be that expensive. Would someplace like napa have them? I don't know if they'd be any cheaper though.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
there is a company that offers what they call a front end leveling kit,cant remember who right know.check in four wheeler or 4wheel&offroad the company has an add in them every month.
or maybe a heavy truck shop that does springs.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, don't know if you have an outfit like we do here in Lancaster PA, but they are called Buds Spring Service, and will make you just about any kind of spring you want. Might be an easy way to get exactly what you want.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I agree with mel find a truck spring place they will ussually have everything you want at a pretty good price just a side not though are you sure its' your springs or are the bushings wore out

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian-
you should be able tofind a spring shop in LA. If you wanna go the cheap route, I have a '91 f250 4X4 on the driveway getting parted and you can have the springs only if you supply the labor.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat, are you strictly local work, or do you ever make runs up I-5 with a hotshot or whatever?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dozer said:
towcat, are you strictly local work, or do you ever make runs up I-5 with a hotshot or whatever?
dozer-
Actually, I have sold off and scaled back my presence in the towing company by quite a bit. About ten years ago, I was the sole owner and had employees. I have slowly sold them interests in the company as they were able to afford to buy in. About 6 months ago, I sold my last active towtruck to an employee and all I do now is run the phones when I am in town. My time is spead out between CA, my business home, and TX, where I am a slumlord to seniors. For rest and aggravation I go over to China to visit the wife and daughter. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
For rest and aggravation I go over to China to visit the wife and daughter. :D
Isn't that an oxymoron? ;)

Brian, I'd love to hear how you wind up handling the spring replacement...I think I'm not too far behind you; I think my truck sits less than 5/8" above the front bumpstops...

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
did ford offer a third spring in the front,like for a snowplow package?
mine has three leaves up front and has been a plow truck all its life.
i did not buy it new so not sure if it factory or one of those leveling kits i've seen. :confused:

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what trucks you guys need springs for, but I'm parting out an '89 F250 2WD. The front end was trashed, but the springs might still be OK. Let me know if you need them, and I'll take a closer look. Only 85K miles on this one....all on the street...

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
Brian-
you should be able tofind a spring shop in LA. If you wanna go the cheap route, I have a '91 f250 4X4 on the driveway getting parted and you can have the springs only if you supply the labor.

Towcat, thaks for the offer. I'm assuming this truck is at your CA site. I really don't know if I can swing getting up there - although I'm tempted so I can get a hold of that prnd :rolleyes: . I'll continue to shop around here for now. I was quoted $230 a piece fro the tuff counrty 2" lift springs. I'm trying to get a hold of conn_at_work over on TDS to see if he can beat that price. Tuff country say I'll also need soem type of steering pivot bushing to keep my steering straight - didn't get a price on that...

Warden, I'll keep everyone posted on my progress. I might have a half inch clearance on mine...

Brian

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Mojave,

I just put that Tuff Country 2" on my truck about a month ago. You don't need anything for the steering as far as I can tell. It's not that drastic a lift to change the steering angles. The guy I talked to at Tuff Country was a real jerk though. Told me it would level the truck perfectly. Not exactly. It sits about an inch higher in the front than the rear. I'm swapping to 5" blocks in the rear this weekend. Also, I would recommend trying a different brand of springs if you don't find a spring shop locally. My truck rides pretty rough on those springs. just my $.02

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apex

Thanks. A local parts house turned me on to a sping shop not to far away. I'm going to give them a call and see what they can do fo me. I had trouble finding a local TC dealer. According the the TC website, the closest is almost 100 mile form me - think I'll just go to Vegas.

Brian