need advice quick truck on cl

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 83 f250 dealers diesel 6.9 with hi cap oil pan and my question is this. I'm looking at just selling this because I'm quite disappointed with performance I went from a 88 460 fuel injected to a 93 Cummins to a 78 351m and this thing is slower than even a 300 straight six I had. Now most of my issue was the c6 not shifting correctly and it bogging down. Got that mostly fixed, and I know 6.9s aren't power houses, bust I've seen idi johns 0_60 runs and others and mine seems slower than most. So with all that being said how much seriously does a turbo help these motors because I think I'm gonna sell mine and look for a turbo 5 SPD im just not a fan of c6 its bullet proof but screams the motor at 65. Any ideas are appreciated even if you tell me I'm dumb lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It helps quite a bit, but it's not going to be a Cummins or a hot rod 460. That's not what that an IDI is. What it is.... reliable, simple, cheap, and can get the job done, just not the quickest thing on the road. With some love, it can be quite impressive, but that takes money and time to mod it.

I've very happy with my 6.9 in the crew cab, but it was built to haul a load, not win a drag race or a truck pull. The more miles I put on it, the better and better it is performing. I don't want or need another diesel as she's doing all I need her to do.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. To better help you with what you feel is a slow running truck. So lets find out how many miles are on the injection pump and injecters. They both live about 1250,00 miles more or less. Also what rear end gears do you have. Another big issue is the timing. If you have no idea what it is then you need to have the engine timed. Sadly you are probably never going to find a shop that can time these engines. I offer a timing meter with the tools and help to time these engines. Many members here have rented from me with never a problem timing these simple engines. So if you have no idea the miles or the timing thats where I recommend you starting to fix this. A turbo really does wake up these engines plus adding a gear vendors overdrive to the c6 will get the rpm down too. Check ebay for a "P" model gear vendors because the "J" models are the early type and not a strong built.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The real question to as yourself is "What do I want the truck to do for me?" I have an e250 7.3 NA with a c6. It is definitly not fast, but I got it for a specific purpose. I have a family of 5 and wanted something comfortable for all of us to travel in plus be able to tow a travel trailer/car hauler. Easy to work on and reliable. For this purpose it works great. Plus it was extremely clean and has at least another 350,000 miles left in it. I have 3.54 gears, so it does okay cruising at 65mph....at 70mph the mileage starts to drop. I do have plans for a GV and a front air dam. Should be able to get about 20mpg on the hwy.

As far as more power, a turbo and inter-cooler would make a big difference. If you want more than that it all boils down to how fat your wallet is.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears do you have? By slow, are you talking about off the line, or trying to pass on the highway? What would you like the truck to actually do?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just reread your original posting.. That statement about a high capasity oil pan... Nope.. No such thing made unless its a custom made pan. They are all the same size no matter what someone tells you. Sounds like the seller is not well informed about this engine.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Getting the fuel system up to ***** is critical on a NA. My 85 is no slouch, and would easily compare it to a 460 of the same year.

Timing, Timing, Timing

Last edited:

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Sounds like I need it timed I never meant to sound like I'm bashing the ol girl it was just hard to go from a bb460 and Cummins to this, I hauled a decent load of cinder blocks the other day and now I know what you guys are saying about hauling it was just purring with almost no effort. I know it needs a few things but timing and a turbo will prob put right where I want it. And also it does have a higher capacity oil pan that was put on the heavy duty models not in the f series trucks but IH and navistar setups it took about 15 quarts to fill it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, about 15 Qts with the large oil filter, regular size pan, even the PSD's have the same size pan.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
There are in fact some aftermarket high capacity pans as well. Looked at one once upon a time, just for S&G's.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well guys.. I have learned something bout oil pans. Now I need to store that somewhere. I have seen the heavy duty dump truck engines with the reversed oil pans and the exhaust manifold logs. Always been told the pans on those engines has the same capasity as our truck pans. Those pans can even be switched around and fitted on our trucks. But I'm thinking they will hang down too low under the frame cross member. But maybe not. We should try this and find out. I for one sure would like some extra oil in the pan. I run just short of three gallons of oil using the motorcraft 1995 large powerstroke oil filter. Three more quarts may help it out some too.