name that part

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming off the main vac T in the pass rear of the engine compartment I have a line going to the brake booster, one to the cruise, one to the hvac, and another going to the right fender near the gp relay...its a black box with wiring coming out....what is it?

Will try to get some pics in the morning

truck is an 86 6.9

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low vacuum warning switch indeed, it triggers your "Brakes!" light on the dash when vacuum drops below certain level. I tossed mine out, and use one of its wires to power up my recirculation door solenoid, and the other to power my delayed-exit headlights module :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's that delayed exit thing work? Your vacuum bleeds off and it drops the relay? Interesting idea. Never would have worked in my truck though. The Moose Truck could hold vacuum overnight easy. LOL

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, nothing like that - I did a write-up on the delayed-exit install a few weeks ago, it's all electronic - however by using the green wire of the vacuum switch harness to power up the control module I can turn the lights off by putting on the e-brake even when the module wants them on - electricity takes the path of least resistance, and grounding through the e-brake pedal switch robs the module off its key-on power. The red wire from that same harness is key-on 12V with no extra features in the circuitry, so that went to my HVAC solenoid. As for the vacuum switch itself, that never darn thing worked, I've lost vacuum to the point where brakes went full manual and the switch didn't care one bit.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dod not even realize there was a switch for it as I had a similar experience rencently....no vaccum, and no warning other then the cruise dropping out. what started this whole mess (of whats that device) is plumbing in the gauge..I have no problem dealing with issues If I know whats actually going on.

add one more item to the list of "why I hate ford gauges"

Thanks all