My turn for air intrusion!

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it finally happened I’m getting air intrusion pre lift pump! Is there new fuel lines i can buy for my truck for the front tank and rear tank to selector valve? Assuming that’s where it’s coming from I only use the front tank because the rear tank leaks above 1/2 but it’s got above a 1/4 now. Front tank has shower head just had it all out and inspected itabout A month ago. Somewhere from the tank to the fuel pump is leaking. I was considering just some rubber line from tank to lift pump for now till I can find a way to replace both tanks and sending units and most if not all the fuel lines. Already have replaced entire fuel system from injectors to the line on the frame from my lift pump.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace any line you wish with disel rated fuel hose. Permanently, if you'd like. Just watch out for rubbing issues.

How do you know it's coming from pre-lift pump?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just use some 3/8" rubber fuel line. Cheap but effective. Have to change it about every 8-10 years.
What pump are you running?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is carter 4070 and there is air small air bubbles coming up through my clear inline glass filter just before my lift pump mounted in engine bay. I’m getting some minor surging while driving as well. I’m guessing it’s at the selector valve I thought about just running a hose from front tank to the main line under the truck and see if that clears it up. And if rubber line last 8-10 years I might as well do it all like that because I’m guessing in 10 years my trucks gonna be dead by then lol if not only take a hour or two to do it over again

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/8 flexible hose - Get some correctly sized hose clamps
https://www.amazon.com/Fuel-Inside-Diameter-Length-SAE30R6/dp/B00UVNZTHK

3/8 nylon tubing
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-072-Nylon-Tubing/dp/B000CIXMM8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542031079&sr=8-3&keywords=3/8+nylon+fuel+line

3/8 nylon tubing connector
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-193-Fuel-Line-Connector/dp/B008ZCF8WA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542031194&sr=8-3&keywords=3/8+nylon+fuel+line+connector

My truck had a very interesting compilation of tubing going from the FSV up to the metal hard line which connects under the transmission.

The compression fitting there will join your existing 3/8 fuel line to the new 3/8 fuel line. Make a clean straight cut with a sharp tubing cutter, and just push the two lines together. No heat required, easy to do it on the truck with a little diesel fuel dripping out of your stock line.

I don't have a source for the ford quick connect fittings on the FSV if yours are leaking. Mine weren't, so I cut the 3/8 line several inches back from the quick connect and attached it to my new line with the compression fittings.

I'd advise you to use the nylon tubing anywhere possible. Its nearly indestructible, highly resistant to abrasion, and it snaps right into your stock fuel line holder clamps, which makes install a breeze.

To make the connection to the factory hard line under the transmission (which runs up to the fuel pump), wet the 3/8 nylon line and push the flexible rubber line onto it a good two or three inches. Secure with two hose clamps. Important - just get these hose clamps snug, do not overtighten them or you will deform the nylon hose. Then slide the other end of the rubber hose onto the metal hard line, secure with hose clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster