My truck. Oh yes

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say it again. That was the exact symptoms of mine when I had no vacuum to the transmission and the valve on the side of the IP wasn't adjusted properly. Check your vacuum pump and that little valve.

I missed that response. I havent been doing anything with the truck. Yesterday I fixed the Nissan so she is back and 100%. Just need to finish up the sound system today. Then fix the small cooling leak on the Jeep, then the truck is the main goal. Try and diag and fix everything.

So does anyone know an upgrade steering shaft? Do the newer truck shafts go on or are they the same as the one that's in my truck now?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update time.

Wipers now work, the motor was fried. I pulled the carpet out and have been running around without any. I installed some captains chairs from an f100, still contemplating if I like the extra floor space, or actually want to put in the center console. I went to the factor sized tires for the rear, the speedo is still 10mph off, so I will probably jump up to a 285/75R16 mud terrains on the rear of the truck, for extra traction, and to bring my highway rpm down a little.

the front end is tight, she needs an alignment and a steering shaft at some point. It is only a little loose.

I still haven't played with the vacuum valve on the IP or checked to see if my vacuum pump is working. I suspect my vacuum pump has died, as my HVAC controls are stuck in defrost and will not change to anything else.

other then that she has done well, I am hovering around 15mpg on the fuel side of things, and its slowly climbing for some reason, maybe its my foot.

I did a new fuel filter tonight and the truck got a million times quieter now, the old one must have been mighty dirty, now I have a slight throttle surge from time to time. The truck leaks a little high pressure fuel, my guess is it is related to that. I have to get around to fixing that, it is currently my number 1 priority, and the next thing I tackle.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s. also got my hands on a factory turbo setup, so that will go on sometime soon. I have toyed around with the idea of a zf5 swap, as it would be the cheapest and most reliable way to get the truck an OD.

What do you guys think about a zf5 swap? I plan to track down a 2wd dually rear, and front spindles at some point to, and go ahead and toss them under her

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The zf-5 is a simple swap. Good idea.

Where is the fuel leak?
The surging is most likely air getting in the fuel system at times.

If the vacuum pump **** the bed, you wouldn't have power brakes. (Unless you or someone installed hydroboost)

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The zf-5 is a simple swap. Good idea.

Where is the fuel leak?
The surging is most likely air getting in the fuel system at times.

If the vacuum pump **** the bed, you wouldn't have power brakes. (Unless you or someone installed hydroboost)

I felt like a moron posting that, because ridding around like an hour after I did, that dawned on me. I have to try and adjust it and see if it helps.

The leak is at 4 of the high pressure lines. I could see maybe the injectors aerating as I drive along, but I don't know if air could or would actually enter the system, but it is a possibility. I am going to fix the leak before I go chasing down the problem, as fixing the leaks may solve the problem. From there its verify my low pressure fuel delivery, then see if the pump is timed correctly (I guess I will get my hands on a pulse timing kit), then probably lean towards the pump not fueling correctly, and from there, she gets moose pumped.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely agree that the shifting problem is the vacuum adjustment.
On the steering, you probably don't need to replace the whole shaft. The shaft is 2 pieces that telescope over each other, one is connected to the pump and one is connected to the cab. Instead of the sliding directly into each other, there's a plastic clip that goes between them; this is probably wore. Any ford of approximately the same year (be it half ton of ton and a half) at your local junk yard would have this piece, and probably even give it to you for free (mine did). Hope this helps!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
How to adjust your vacuum switch

You must be registered for see images attach

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I actually have all the manuals for this truck from when I had my other 84 idi.

I think the zf5 swap idea is scratched, I am talking with someone as we speak about a GV OH YA! Turbo o/d truck here I come.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo kit is in the garage. It's a factory take off with a banks down pipe. The down pipe looks small though. The gear vendor unit should come this weekend.

So what's the deal with a factory turbo kit, are the inferior to the ats units they sell aftermarket?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that is on the agenda. The OD unit I am trying to snag up will wipe out funds for the truck for a while. So I will have to wait for a little to fix the steering. It isnt so bad, more of an annoyance then anything. She is a good truck, I think she will serve me well.

I am going to run this one for a long time hopefully.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check wrecker for shaft for steering,

Is the rag joint shot? You can get replacement for cheap 10-15 bucks...

There is a small flat spring and nylon bushing inside the collapsing portion of the steering shaft. Often the spring breaks and the plastic bushing shifts or wears out. This causes a significant amount of free play. I just replaced the shaft on Superfwifey's F150 there was about 4" of free play on wheel, ALL DUE to that stupid flat metal spring and nylon bushing! Replaced shaft....golden!

Borgeson, or Flaming river make great shafts....mind you $pendy too.

Good luck on it.

What colour interiour have you got? I have a few centre consoles!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That flat spring and nylon bushing that Al posted about is a sucker to get installed. Mine went bad a few years back. I surfed the wrecking yards for parts. Careful because there are several differant types for out trucks. Once I found that out I "collected "several... Spare parts are great to have and they are smalls. They don't take up much shelf space..

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my borgeson shaft for under $200 bucks, PM me or fiddle through my old posts, i can't remember off the top of my head the company name but they were great to deal with. I just don't want to waste my time looking for it if you don't actually care lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online