My truck gets a new life - engine swap build thread

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huge score today, picked up a good running 7.3, C6(?) and a 203 transfer case. Came with a new DMF flywheel and clutch kit, 7 spare injectors, core support and firewall forward engine harness, starter and a full A/C system. Got it for a song. Low-ish milage

Guy just torched and cut and lifted, took 2/3 hours.

Trans supposedly works well, transfer case is a junkyard unit, supposedly good too.

Gonna do head gaskets and valve cover gaskets while its out, maybe rear main seal.

Video of it running. Theres a powerstroke running in the backround too

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Some questions I have:

• How hard would it be to convert to the auto trans? Kind of tempted

• serpentine to v belt wiring conversion? Or should I swap on all my accessories?

• What trans is this / how much is it worth?

• I was told by who I bought it from that you can bolt a 4x4 transfer case up to the output shaft of a super duty 4x2 after taking off the trans brake. Can anyone confirm this before I go pull a trans?
  • Do I need a different valley pan for the turbo?
  • How do I check the head gaskets? It was blowing white smoke but I'm pretty sure that was because of the dead glow plugs. Still want to check

Feeling good, I think this will be a good second shot for my truck. I think I can sell the auto/TC and the DMF kit for a good amount of money, as well as the radiator / trans cooler. Air conditioning will make me want to keep it, driving across the Great Plains with no A/C puts a damper on the trip for sure.

Will keep this thread updated with my progress

Last edited:

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
A C6 auto with an IDI is very unspectacular. You will wonder where your power went.

The parking brake on a F-Superduty ubolts and a tcase can be substituted. (They use 4x4 style transmissions.) The aluminum tcase I see in your pic is def not a 203. Probably a BW1345 or 1356.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A C6 auto with an IDI is very unspectacular. You will wonder where your power went.

The parking brake on a F-Superduty ubolts and a tcase can be substituted. (They use 4x4 style transmissions.) The aluminum tcase I see in your pic is def not a 203. Probably a BW1345 or 1356.
It had "203" in junkyard marker on it so I just assumed. Thanks for the info!

How much do you guys think a DMF clutch kit is worth? It's got surface rust but could be cleaned.

Last edited:

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This engine also doesn't have the ticking noise my old one always had, which is definitely a good sign

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
rockauto? or if its just a bit rust, and not worn out... dress the pressure plate a bit, lube up the pivot points, run it.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two types of transfer cases could be found in the early 80's Fords. The New Process 208 or the Borg Warner 1345.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NP208 right BW 1356 left. I would say he has a 1356.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got it running pretty well, how do you guys think it sounds? She runs a little hazy and I've read things about these trucks running but running rough with white smoke when the timing is 180 off. I'm hoping that's not what's going on but from what I have read it is hard to determine if this is the case. It seemed to run good but a little underpowered but I think I have a boost leak which would explain that

I didn't touch the timing cover at any point but as you can see above this engine has had an interesting past so who knows what they did to it before retiring it to the field.

The timing marks are at static timing in the video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It doesn't sound too bad to me. It is kind of hard to tell from a video that's less that 20 seconds long. If your timing marks are lined up, try advancing the timing some. If you didn't rebuild this engine, then it's been sitting for some time without running. That could explain the idling rough and the hazy exhaust. So could the timing being too far retarded. The timing will also cause the engine to be down on power and not build much boost. If the timing's really off by 180*, you'll know it. There will be a lot of smoke coming out of your exhaust. It will smell strongly of unburned fuel and it will make your eyes burn.