My stress relief post. Also a 30K mile pure WMO report

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
25deg this morning, and the truck wouldn't start on almost pure diesel. After church at about 33Deg it fired after two GP cycles and a fair amount of cranking. Running on pure diesel more or less probably about 70 to 80% D2 because processing rig is down as of yesterday when I went to make another batch. It took 8 miles before the truck was at operating temperature this afternoon. Drove the truck in the barn to plug it in, and sliced the right duals on an unseen pc of equipment.

Ignore that, just fussing to anyone who'll listen.

I have been running almost 100 percent WMO, I normally splash two or three gallons in a 40-45 gallon batch as it's fuging out. Ive been running that mix since I learned I could trust it, around March all through summer and back into temps that were low enough for my pump to complain pumping it through the filter even at 30 to 40 mph. Several times tripped the fuel filter light almost daily for the past month. I changed all 8 GP's yesterday and noticed a small amount of whitish ash on the GP's. Not much different than the other gp's I pulled from a truck that has never seen anything but DSL. I can't speak much for starting ease as the GP's shortly failed after installation and thusly I have been using a shot of ether even during the summer so I didn't have to fool with switching tanks etc. With ether on 100% it would fire off in a couple seconds. Yes I popped the hood and squirted it every time the engine was cold.

Performance?

Runs nice and smooth on oil and slightly more power, & more smoke at high RPMS. Much less smoke on WMO than D2 at low hard lugging rpms. My engine is 400K plus miles with what appears to be original injectors. It has a definite injector knock on Dsl that it doesn't have on oil unless the operating temps are high. Some of the smoke may also be due to my worn engine as it burns quite a bit of oil in the crankcase. I add a gallon at a time, and it goes through one a month more or less of course depending on use. WMO has a distinctive smell, that I assume stinks to some people, but one co worker told me he preferred my WMO smell to DSL, and yes he could smell the difference driving behind me.

I have the Mississippi River bluff in between my house and work/town. It's about a 180ft climb in 6-7 tenths of a mile don't know the grade, but the grain trucks and other heavy semis drop down to about 25-30 Mph or less climbing it. If it wasn't for that hill I wouldn't notice the power difference.

On WMO empty no trailer I can climb the hill in 5th throttle to spare at about 45-50 MPH and have to let off in one bend. On D2 I have to shift into 4th or hit it fast and hold it on the floor in 5th to maintain 40 to 45.

On another note heed the others warnings on this site and others about autolite and other brand GPs, do not buy anything but ZD9's learn the easy way. I learned the hard way, and have now bought two sets of GP's, and changed them twice in a 6 month span. Thats not counting the individual ones I changed (three). Have a set of Beru's (ZD9) in there now and it cycles and starts as expected.
The autolites actually started failing (first plug) the third day after I installed them. (replaced two more in under a month) and then gave up and used ether for several months. I had extra GP's from another truck that was scrapped, but it was always the new autolites that failed.

Anyone got questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a day man...

So, what all has been done to the truck other then replacement parts to make it drink oil as it does? Any fuel heaters, etc? Anything special done to the truck or your oil to get away with it?

-Chris

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bone stock except for a replacement single pc. fuel filter Wix 33617. Plan on installing a FPHE as soon as I have excess cash flow. Thats just so I can run the pure mix longer and put less strain on the lift pump getting cold oil through the filter. My oil is predominately 15W40 oil from farm equipment. I have a tote of engine shop oil that I'll start processing as soon as I get the new heater installed and figure out what is blocking my super sucker hose so I can use it to transfer some oil. I 25 mic bag filter before the oil inters the fuge, pump from the open top drum through my fuges into the fuge drum and clean fuges then restart and process for 6 to 8 hours on dual 55GPH fuges. at a random point late in the fuge run I add two to 4 gallons of RUG and continue fuging for a couple hours. I then dispense from the fuge drum through 3 series 10mic filters into the stock tanks.

Later plans; install a second 6 port valve and a 3 port valve to run a 100 gal bed tank and also bypass both 6 ports on the return to the bulk tank. I plan on adding a timer to the shutdown solenoid as well as the return bypass so I can turn the key off and walk away from the truck while it idles and purges the oil for cold starts on D2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.