My Next New Truck! Ha!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a departure from my post in the 6.7L section, I must announce I have ordered... My Next New Truck, having decided that I didn't want to risk difficulties associated with the new engine and that my '91 Ford just needs to be retired for future repairs. It won't make it till 2012, when I'd originally planned to buy, without major surgery. My '01 Impala must be disposed of via trade/outright sale while it still has value.

I have ordered the following:

- 2006 Ram 3500 SLT, DRW/longbed, Quad Cab
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Jake brake
- Nav system
- Power trailer tow mirrors
- Supplemental windbags
- Light group
- Alarm
- Upgraded 60/40 bench seat
- many options I can't remember

About $35,500 out the door.

Gawd I can't wait till June... My '91 Ford is getting one of its last pulling runs this weekend... Heading down to Georgia to pick up a load of horses.

June can't come too soon!!! Now all I need to do is figure out a color before dealer allocation time in a week or 2. Thinking white/gray, as I have a bad feeling that the tan will fade in an ugly manner over time. Usually buy tan interiors... maybe time for a change.

I have to give credit to Dodge. They're going the right direction and appear to be willing to negotiate a price I can afford. Ford wouldn't, and twin turbos on a pickup (in my opinion) mean nothing but terrible expense for an owner when rebuild time comes. Ford is getting way too complex to meet emissions laws. I never thought I'd buy a Dodge... Still won't buy a Chevy. :)

Mike

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyatt Earp said:
Mike you won't regret it. Although I'm sure the ol' Ford will hate you for it...

I'm sure. She'll probably break down this weekend when I'm pulling the horses up from Georgia...

Actually, she's been doing pretty well. I suspect we'll be OK... just a bit slower rolling than I'd like.

Mike

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
I'm sure. She'll probably break down this weekend when I'm pulling the horses up from Georgia...

Actually, she's been doing pretty well. I suspect we'll be OK... just a bit slower rolling than I'd like.

Mike

You know, to me it don't really matter as long as it is an Oil Burner! Ok, I perfer the CTD. The problem I see is this very dangerous numbers game that the 3 players are playing - ok, just because you can get 700+ foot pounds and 300+ HP doesn't mean you really need it do you? Diesels are supposed to be pulling and hauling monsters that get great mileage. The newer trucks just aren't doing that anymore. Maybe that's just me but I've been wrong before - at least the wife says so anyway.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Sounds like an awsome truck you've got comming:D
Seems a great price too - I was under the impression that such a truck was at least 10k more than that.

As for newer trucks not getting great mileage - they seem to do as well or better than the old ones and make twice the power - what's not to like? (well, i'd settle for same power and twice the mileage I guess:))

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats Mike, I ordered one also. A 3500 MC 4x4, Laramie, 6 speed with a Jake. Hopefully it will be in by the Middle of May, need to plan a trip out to St Louis to pick her up. Keep me updated, can't wait to hear about it. I hate the feeling of waiting for a new rig. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scotty,

You and me ordered from the same guy... I'll be heading there in June when mine arrives. When did you order? You're delivery date is a month ahead of mine! Still waiting for dealer allocation.

I decided to get the Jake brake. You don't spend $35k on a truck and not get that functional option.

Bikepilot, I'm a member of Turbo Diesel Register. The dealer in Missouri offers a nice discount to those of us who use that site (annual fee for the site's use.) That, coupled with incentives and Farm Bureau discount (we really are farming now!) saved me some additional money. Could maybe have gotten a better deal, but I'm pretty happy with walking out of there with a loaded 3500 SLT quad cab for about $34k after my state tax, including the Nav system option. Jake brake extra--hoping to pay cash for that and not fold it into the loan.

Mike

Last edited:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not aware of a TDR discount, but did get a great deal, plus I will be getting the NC Farm Bureau Discount too. I will eventually become a member of TDR but I figure I will wait for the truck then join. There are already quite a few free sites, but TDR does have alot of good info. My truck was just under 40K but I got a 4x4 Laramie with the Jake and bedliner, so I feel pretty good about the deal. I am not sure where I would have found a better deal, but paying for the plane ticket and fuel for getting back it is still a good deal. Plus they make it so painless it is totally worth it. Can't wait to see your truck Mike, I will send word when mine finally gets in. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Dealers here wouldn't deal, and I didn't wanna mess. I feel like I got a fair enough deal, and will look forward to having a new tow vehicle. We'll have to have a Carolina Cummins rally...

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet there is already some kind of organization like that, there are a ton of Dodge Cummins around here. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scary thing is... I swear I saw more of the third generation Ram diesels on the road than Stupid Duties when we were coming out from California.

Very few Duramaxes.

Trailers of any significant size were being pulled by Rams first, then Super Duties, on my observation.

Mike

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Sounds like an awsome truck you've got comming:D
Seems a great price too - I was under the impression that such a truck was at least 10k more than that.

As for newer trucks not getting great mileage - they seem to do as well or better than the old ones and make twice the power - what's not to like? (well, i'd settle for same power and twice the mileage I guess:))

This may be evident with the Ford PSD / IH. But not so with the Dodge / Cummins. I mean they are all great trucks - that's not my point. I just saying that we are seeing a trend to still better than a gasser for mileage but the used to be 30+ imperial miles per gallon 12V'ers have been replaced with these huge power monsters that are seeing good numbers at less than 18 imperial miles per gallon which equals around 13 to 15 us miles per gallon.

I love my truck - consistantly sees 950 km per tank in short haul trips and 1150 on the long ones with the right conditions but the '06 won't do that.

Perhaps this is why the '07 is coming available with a larger tank?

Still love them just wish you had the option of tuning them down once in while - sort of like a stock tuner chip or something. Ya, I know, that sounds stupid to all the power hungry guys out there but to the ones (me) that like the power and the cost savings at the pump...

Anyway, Mike, enjoy the truck.

Yours in smoke,

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wyatt Earp said:
This may be evident with the Ford PSD / IH. But not so with the Dodge / Cummins. I mean they are all great trucks - that's not my point. I just saying that we are seeing a trend to still better than a gasser for mileage but the used to be 30+ imperial miles per gallon 12V'ers have been replaced with these huge power monsters that are seeing good numbers at less than 18 imperial miles per gallon which equals around 13 to 15 us miles per gallon.

I love my truck - consistantly sees 950 km per tank in short haul trips and 1150 on the long ones with the right conditions but the '06 won't do that.

Still love them just wish you had the option of tuning them down once in while - sort of like a stock tuner chip or something. Ya, I know, that sounds stupid to all the power hungry guys out there but to the ones (me) that like the power and the cost savings at the pump...

Yours in smoke,

Oh, yes. I'd buy a DEtuner that'd safely get me around 200hp for daily driving.

I no longer can afford the luxury of a car as a daily driver and a truck when I pull. One vehicle must do the job 2 used to do.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Wyatt Earp said:

Yours in smoke,

hmm, I don't own either, but from reading the mileage threads at TDR its not obvious that the 12v truck got significantly better mileage than the current ones for given driving conditions and it sure doesn't seem that they got nearly doubt the mileage. Anyway, just my observation from reading the forums. I do have a frind with a an 03 quad cab dodge who gets ~20mpg empty and never really tows anything so who knows there.

I would like to see the new technology put towards building more efficent motors though - seems (to me) that we get more hp with the same fuel mileage (which is cool), but I'd rather the same hp with more fuel mileage.

I think part of the issue is that those most concerned about fuel mileage are not those who generally buy new trucks. I strongly suspect that the auto makers have a very good idea of why the typical new truck buyer wants and do their best to provide it.

cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online