my mirrors thread to answer all my pm questions

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
so ive had like 60 pm's about my mirrors so here goes

since i couldn't stand not being able to see behind me so i set out on a quest for more mirror real estate...

i narrowed down my selection i dont like west coast mirrors on my truck, no super duty mirrors because i still wanted to use my wing windows so it was between dodge and chevy apon futher research the dodge mirror mount was made to fit inside the dodge door where as the chevy mounted directly to the outside so the covers would require less work to shape to the door.

then i saw the price for oem mirrors :eek: so i just waited for awhile

then when i was crusin duallyscene.com and found a guy that had them on a 98 chevy but didnt like them so i got them for 150 for the set instead of 350 a piece

You must be registered for see images attach

so i pulled off the old ones took the chevy mirror bases off and started mock up

in the last picture you can see at the top bolt thats the bolt that runs threw a brace hidden in the wing window rubber .... which i found out the wing windows are diffrent between years my obs has a squared off front which is where that brace i used resides older trucks dont seem to have that brace

the bottom two bolts required holes to be drilled directly bellow the window i made sure the top and bottom back bolt holes are lined up straight that makes the mirror base cover follow the doors window opening the mirror comes with three studs i removed the top one and used a 3 inch bolt 10mm but 3 inches is too long... i used washes as a temporary spacer to get the mirror tight on the top.

i then took a peice of square tubbing probably 1x1 cut one side off making it a C drilled holes for the bottom two holes took the speaker out of the door and the door panel of course took the c channel put it in the door and used it to strengthen the door skin where i mounted the mirror put the mirror on the base and took a test drive

but they shook so bad i couldn't see anything :mad:

so i got a piece of large all thread 4 nuts and 4 washers
i drilled a hole in the inner door skin then put the all thread threw the speaker hole into the hole with a nut and washer on the inside and then a nut and washer on the outside i then put the all thread into the c channel between the mirror studs and tightened the inside nut and washer so that it started to barely buldge the door then locked it down with the outside nut

that did the trick the passenger side still shakes sometimes but i figure a decent tire balance could fix that

so i threw the covers back on and until its time for body work and paint they are done but at that time i will fiberglass the cover gap shut

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look good! ;Sweet

I can see the gap as on the fab photo's, but not on the finished install due to dark photo.

Will a tapered shim take up the gap looks wise enough to fab, or will you just extend the factory beauty skins?

I hate my mirrors too, but too lazy to fab up something like that.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Thanks ya I think the cover will work with just a filler to cover the gap I like the way the cover fllows the door on the front is its just a matter of filling the gap

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
03 to to6 07 had a revision which when I looked at one the other day would work better with less gap because the 07 door angles in more like our doors

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
nice..... now get to some body work for gawds sake!!!! the darn mirrors make everything else look rusty.

don't ya hate that?

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off topic, but did you buy the smoked cab lights like that or are they painted?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Yes cab lights I painted along with the dually fender lights when the truck gets stripped down of paint I well be switching to all clear lights