my $ makers down!

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello fellow oil burners some of you know and have followed my very few post about my 1990 F super duty rollback truck that I found off in a field and brought back to life. I have done a lot of work, repairs and preventive maintenance on it says January but here is my current issue.
- I was able to get insurance on it and a tag today and took it for its official test drive I am not sure what transmission is in there but I do know that it has a trans brake and I am not familiar how they work I will research that after this post.
- I drove it about 15 miles around the city heading to my FIRST tow call :-(and started smelling trans fluid so I headed back to my shop, I pull up and transmission is just pouring out of the front of the transmission.

I am aware that the transmission is going to have to come out I honestly cannot afford to take it to a shop due to getting everything repaired on it and ready for the road.
- Why do front seals bust? Or leak?
- Could it be torque converter? If so what happened?
- I had to put it in 2nd gear with it having such a super super slow acceleration in D. At 15 mph I'd shift into 3rd/D manually, it pulls good I am not sure how the gears are set up in this since it is a tow truck any information that may guide me down the do-it-yourself path would be greatly appreciated.

- I have a very big financial responsibility and need to get this issue resolved hopefully by Monday so all of my hard work and effort don't go to waste.

- my towing contracts are in the mail to be accepted. .. I'm freaking out. .thanks guys

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like E4OD trans.you should have an OD cancel switch on the dash,and the door jam sticker,under trans code will = E.

the high gear starts is just the trans not getting power.as you know,you can just start out in 2nd and then shift into D and it will work until you find the issue (most often a failed relay)

the front seal dries up on trucks that sit,and or the front pump bushing has walked forward.
you'll need to pull the trans,remove the converter,pluck the seal out and snap some pics.we can help you as to whether or not to order a used/front pump or just replace the seal and get going again asap.

if this was me,id be dropping the trans tonight.this would allow more time for diagnosing tomorrow.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
how goes the battle?
don't just toss another seal in if it bushing has walked forward.the bushing in the pump should be flush.post a pic when you get in there.the odds are high,all it needs is just a seal though.especially since the trucks been sitting in a field.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fordf250 is the resident e4od expert, having pulled a transmission a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i earned my degree for this one at the school of hard knocks! i earned so much experience i aced the class! :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My my my, you did a lot of maintenance and never checked the fluid in the trans? Hate to be ******* ya, but the dip stick handle is normally painted white, it's almost hidden on the pass side next to the firewall. I would say you where real low on ATF and it ran HOT, when it does that, the ring seal (seal from pump to converter shaft) will MELT, most times it will heal itself.

As a quick fix (maybe).

Start it up, see if it's still leaking, NO LEAK, then check fluid level with engine running, keep it running, add ATF to bring level up to mid hash mark. Take it for a short ride, see if it's leaking.

If it's LEAKING, then the trans will have to be pulled.

There is a bronze bushing that may be worn and has to be replaced, the new ring seals are Viton and can stand higher heat. You have to check the torque converter for a groove where the seal rides.

The seal is # 37. Sorry about the pics not right side up, just print them out.

Attachments

• E4OD.jpg
    E4OD.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 8
  • E4OD parts.jpg
    E4OD parts.jpg
    718.9 KB · Views: 12
  • E4OD parts_0001.jpg
    E4OD parts_0001.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 9
  • E4OD parts_0002.jpg
    E4OD parts_0002.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 9

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't have an AUX trans cooler, let me know, I have a good used one you can have free.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have the link to the thread where says he didn't check the fluid,Bill?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have the link to the thread where says he didn't check the fluid,Bill?

He never said he did or didn't check the the fluid, so there is no link. But from what happened I guess you could assume (I know ass u & me not meaning you) that he possible didn't.
- I had to put it in 2nd gear with it having such a super super slow acceleration in D. At 15 mph I'd shift into 3rd/D manually

But from what he says here it was in limp mode. Driving it that way sure will trash a tranny. A lot quicker if the fluid is low.

Now, have to see his answer as to whether he did or not.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh i see.i think he probably just doesn't have power to the TECA.this would explain why he has high gear starts in D but then it shifts ok into 3rd and od once he gets rolling.should be fixed for sure but he'll be ok to work the truck for a little while by manually shifting without hurting it any.with low trans fluid,the converter wont want to stay or lock up.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey gentlemen! hands have been glued to this dam truck! I want to thank all of you for contributing to my cause! I spent several hours yesterday )saturday( removing the trans. It was a PITA!!! luckily i have a good woman and was there to hand me tools and such. I have never pulled one by myself and i was intimidated ... a little too much. As of now at this moment, the trans is supported on a scissor jack and 4x4's but i just didnt have the strength to get it to come back enough for it to come down. I had a busy day today doing roadside so had not had a chance to touch it. I am slightly physically impaired so im gonna have to get some man power to help me slide it back and on the ground so i can see what the hell im doing.

I did not run it dry at to clarify. I let it run for over an hour friday while i installed the grill, lights etc... tranny fluid level was fine. I also went back today and read several of the OD issues in several post and learned alot of valuable info.
My od light stays on and the button almost seems stuck. That was going to be my next part i ask if anyone had instead of buying new.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the part is called on the passenger side but when i removed the plug it was saturated with fluid, i will clean that up once i get it out from under the truck. I am working with limited tools, help and resources other than you guys. I do not have a large friend, family or associate circle so i have to make this truck a priority while still running my business which is challenging to be honest. Luckily work has been slow and today i had to play catch up on the roadside front submitting paper work etc...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you can swing it, just go grab a trans Jack from harbor freight.
Things are a lifesaver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online