my $ makers down!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
high gear starts.
the od light always on (dimly lit) is an associated issue with the high gear starts in D position.this happens when the TECA (trans control unit) doesn't get power.
your actual od cancel switch is fine.

leaky/failed sealed in solenoid pack.
if the passenger side connector was full of trans fluid,this probably means your going to need a solenoid pack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-E4OD-SOLENOID-BLOCK-NON-PWM-1989-1994-U36420/191804191337

thats a used one.for about 100 you can find reman too.just insure 89-94 year.
(gas/diesel = same.)

front seal leak.
good luck on getting the trans out.these are heavy son's of guns.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That trans weighs 250 #, be very careful. If it's still on a jack, you need 27 inches clearance to get it out.

Important questions.

Did you disconnect the torque converter and and take it out with the trans?

Torque converter weighs 45# empty, about 70# with fluid in it.

If the torque converter is still on the engine, remove it, then install the trans with it on the trans. There is 4 nuts (13mm or 1/2" socket)

Was there a heat shield by the connector on the pass side?
The heat shield is very important to keep the exhaust heat away from the connector.

Did you drained the trans pan?
There is about 10 quarts of fluid in it.
Trans has to be empty to change the solenoid pack.
You may not not need a solenoid pack, just a new seal for it.

You need a #30 Torx bit and a 10mm socket to remove the solenoid pack.
Remove the Torx bolts 1st then the 10mm nut.

Are you planning on removing the front pump?
DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS.

Did you see the seal on the front shaft?
A new Viton seal can be had at any trans shop.

Last edited:

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pics

You guys are AMAZING!!! good news... by myself.. i said fk it!!! got under it at the crack of dawn and used a scissor jack with air ratchet on it for quick up and down action. hydro jack in front ..... the dam shift linkage lever was holding it up..... its ok.. you can laugh , i did after smoking 4 cigarettes ..
Thanks for the TECA info
i just now broke or disabled my 3ton jack raising the driver side up to pull trans out from under it :-( if i need 27 inches for clearance i was only able to get 26 FML....
HERE IS SOME PICS

You must be registered for see images attach

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new seal ready for install but... the question is should i remove the pump? If so what would i look for? I tried to price a pump seal or gasket at Oreillys where i have a commercial account and not sure exactly the NAME of the gasket/seal i would need. They also dont carry the actual pump.
I dont want to pull the pump if i honestly dont have to. If this pouring fluid out is commonly caused by front seal going bad with it sitting up dry in a field for so long im ok with just replacing it unless there are several reasons to do something else.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new seal ready for install but... the question is should i remove the pump? If so what would i look for? I tried to price a pump seal or gasket at Oreillys where i have a commercial account and not sure exactly the NAME of the gasket/seal i would need. They also dont carry the actual pump.
I dont want to pull the pump if i honestly dont have to. If this pouring fluid out is commonly caused by front seal going bad with it sitting up dry in a field for so long im ok with just replacing it unless there are several reasons to do something else.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no no.leave the pump right there until further notice.carefully pluck that seal out and snap another pic would ya? this way we can see if the bushing has walked.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oldbull questions answered

Answered the questions sir. THanks for your input!!
That trans weighs 250 #, be very careful. If it's still on a jack, you need 27 inches clearance to get it out.

Important questions.

Did you disconnect the torque converter and and take it out with the trans? YES

Torque converter weighs 45# empty, about 70# with fluid in it.

If the torque converter is still on the engine, remove it, then install the trans with it on the trans. There is 4 nuts (13mm or 1/2" socket)

Was there a heat shield by the connector on the pass side? NO
The heat shield is very important to keep the exhaust heat away from the connector. I checked the junkyard over the weekend with no luck on finding a heat shield. I have some Tin or aluminum i may can make one out of

Did you drained the trans pan? NO had nothing to drain it in and im limited on resources/$ my main shop pan is full. About to go empty it now.
There is about 10 quarts of fluid in it.
Trans has to be empty to change the solenoid pack.
You may not not need a solenoid pack, just a new seal for it.

You need a #30 Torx bit and a 10mm socket to remove the solenoid pack.
Remove the Torx bolts 1st then the 10mm nut.

Are you planning on removing the front pump?
DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS.

Did you see the seal on the front shaft? yes i posted pics. ive never pulled a seal , im assuming just use a small hook tool??
A new Viton seal can be had at any trans shop.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the reason why the front pump seal has fluid gushing out of it has two possibilities. one the seal is old and brittle. with today's synthetic rubber technology, that is like wishing on rainbows and unicorns. but hey, good luck with that. the second, is the clearance between the torque converter neck and the front pump bushing is excessive and the pressure from the oil pump is bleeding through the bushing and in turn, coming out of the seal. that is a more likely scenario with E4DOA transmissions. Since you have a seal and the trans is out of the truck, put it in, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Still since you don't have any savings to speak of, it's better than nothing.
Quite honestly, the towing business requires money, lots of it and a ton of spare parts. Even though I'm pretty much retired from towing, I am still buying and stockpiling parts.
Uptime is a critical issue for you. pulling your truck apart and band-aiding is not going to keep you alive for long. The longer your truck stays down, the fewer phone calls you will get. After all, you are supposed to be the one "at ready" all the time to help others. With a F450 superduty, you are lucky that you can draw spare parts from F250's and F350's. If I were you, I would quit dicking with the trans that's currently in the truck. There has to be a reason why the previous owner of the truck sold the damn thing to you that cheap. Go on CL and find a F250 or F350 4x4 with a E4DOA and buy it. your parameters don't have to have a nice body or interior. It just needs to have a GOOD WORKING trans and maybe a good IDI to boot. Test drive the hell out of it. Pay for it and drive it some more. take it home and pull the engine and trans out and put the trans into your F450. If you engine is questionable and the donor engine is in better shape, you minus change it out too. Now this is the important part.....you still have no time to rest. Take the old trans you removed and look up Suncoast transmissions. They sell E4DOA's that are bulletproof and have a warranty that is unmatched in the industry.
Remember, time is money and reputation. You are putting a 15k/lbs load on your truck where most people here are doing 8.6k load to 10k load and use their trucks as personal use or hobby. If you don't have the money saved up and the spare parts, find something else to do for a while and save up at least 6 months of income. Earning yourself a reputation as an inconsistent flake will ensure you a slow death in this business.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seal is out

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the reason why the front pump seal has fluid gushing out of it has two possibilities. one the seal is old and brittle. with today's synthetic rubber technology, that is like wishing on rainbows and unicorns. but hey, good luck with that. the second, is the clearance between the torque converter neck and the front pump bushing is excessive and the pressure from the oil pump is bleeding through the bushing and in turn, coming out of the seal. that is a more likely scenario with E4DOA transmissions. Since you have a seal and the trans is out of the truck, put it in, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Still since you don't have any savings to speak of, it's better than nothing.
Quite honestly, the towing business requires money, lots of it and a ton of spare parts. Even though I'm pretty much retired from towing, I am still buying and stockpiling parts.
Uptime is a critical issue for you. pulling your truck apart and band-aiding is not going to keep you alive for long. The longer your truck stays down, the fewer phone calls you will get. After all, you are supposed to be the one "at ready" all the time to help others. With a F450 superduty, you are lucky that you can draw spare parts from F250's and F350's. If I were you, I would quit dicking with the trans that's currently in the truck. There has to be a reason why the previous owner of the truck sold the damn thing to you that cheap. Go on CL and find a F250 or F350 4x4 with a E4DOA and buy it. your parameters don't have to have a nice body or interior. It just needs to have a GOOD WORKING trans and maybe a good IDI to boot. Test drive the hell out of it. Pay for it and drive it some more. take it home and pull the engine and trans out and put the trans into your F450. If you engine is questionable and the donor engine is in better shape, you minus change it out too. Now this is the important part.....you still have no time to rest. Take the old trans you removed and look up Suncoast transmissions. They sell E4DOA's that are bulletproof and have a warranty that is unmatched in the industry.
Remember, time is money and reputation. You are putting a 15k/lbs load on your truck where most people here are doing 8.6k load to 10k load and use their trucks as personal use or hobby. If you don't have the money saved up and the spare parts, find something else to do for a while and save up at least 6 months of income. Earning yourself a reputation as an inconsistent flake will ensure you a slow death in this business.

I appreciate your insight, knowledge and opinions Towcat! The owner died after he parked the truck, didnt even make it to the house, heart attack. The son received ownership of the truck. Son is a IT man works for a big corporation, he had no use for it, i offered him $1500 , told him i was just getting started etc.. he bit and i have a nice truck that needs a little tlc. I agree with most of your post, we are the ones that have to ALWAYS be ready. I am building this business from scratch and am proud to be where i am today! With hard work and getting this truck on the road will produce more income to do a you suggested and stock parts and gain another truck so when 1 goes down ill have a backup. Thanks again for taking time out to respond, i appreciate you!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
what does the torque convertor neck look like? post pics.
the bushing doesn't look like it moved.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
beautiful! tap another seal in her,top up the fluid and run 'er.

it will be easier at this point to just install the trans and then drop the pan to drain the fluid with it up in the air i think,then pull the solenoid pack to replace it.
unfortunately you can't replace the seal which keeps out the atf from getting inside the connector.that seal is replaced during a reman,it's different from the large o-ring which keeps atf from leaking outside the trans.kinda a bummer i know but that's how it goes.

then you'll need to find a replacement heat shield to protect the bulkhead connector.

lastly,you'll need to restore power to the trans which will cure the dim od light,the high gear starts and the need to manually shift.

your on the road to success by the sounds of it.though it can be a long hard journey but if it was easy everyone would do it lol good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86