My first post *giggle*

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Theme from darth vader plays in the background.

Get this thing off me. I can't breathe! OK, there that's better. Welcome fellow evil dwellers. Bruwhahahahaha.

:rotflmao

Oh I kill me.

Anyway, now that I'm done being raked over the coals, A happy computerized solute to all.

A couple of questions, as they translate from my IDI experience.

I notice this thing regurgitates its blow by with the same enthusiasm as an IDI. Should I put an RDT on it?

I'm mostly interested in any mods that extend fuel economy or longevity.

The power is fine, and the trans shifts fine, although I'm told when I get to towing I may think differently. About the only towing it is going to do is pull the boat somewhere once a year, and the occastional load of something in an open trailer, so my towing requirements are not that high. I've already put a B&M tranny cooler on it, that is frame mounted with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Barney did a good job of taking care of it, and most of the other important things have been done. I've changed the oil and the fuel filter. He put an air raid kit on it, so I've got a K&N (which I know a lot of you prefer paper, but spare me that lecture). It got 20.4 MPG bringing it home, and hangs around 18 with stop and go traffic. Pretty good I think for a truck this heavy.

I'll be learning plenty about the mechanical architecture when I get to helping Scott. I've already examined the heads pretty good and noted the differences. There is still a lot more that is familiar than what is not. :hail

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Mel, getting that CCV mod done is a good idea. The intecooler makes a helluva oil trap otherwise.

If you are getting 20+MPG with it.............. DONT SCREW WITH IT!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...If you are getting 20+MPG with it.............. DONT SCREW WITH IT!!!!

That's been my thoughts exactly! I dont want to look a gift horse in the mouth. As for the CCV mod, is it documented somewhere, or do I just do what I think I should do, which is do away with the hose between the valve cover and the intake, plug the holes, and put a Banks adapter on the front of the pump housing?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the CCV mod, is it documented somewhere, or do I just do what I think I should do

Its documented over at SDD on the WIKI. Gimme a little time to dig it up.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes Mel, getting that CCV mod done is a good idea. The intecooler makes a helluva oil trap otherwise.

If you are getting 20+MPG with it.............. DONT SCREW WITH IT!!!!
|stupid |stupid |stupid

Hopefully your blowby isn't as bad as mine with 339k on the meter. Chuffs like a baldwin steam locomotive when I take off the oil fill capLOL

I went the route of the RDT to atmosphere and couldn't stand the smell when sitting stopped so I routed it to exhaust and now am back to stock after a blue smoke episode that lasted a couple days......however the cause was never actually found because the smoke stopped:dunno .

The downside of the stock CCV is as stated filling the IC with oil, oil seeping out of the IC tube boots and generally making a mess. Oil going through the turbo will also wear down the compressor wheel to razor sharp over time......Ask GEO how I know....-cuss;Pissed :eek: ....and gloves didn't help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as you can see in Barney's fine photo here
You must be registered for see images
there is plenty of vapor making it's way out around the boots. I'm sure the bottom row of the IC is probably full too. I once I go with the RDT, it may eventually clear itself out.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Darth,

I doubt that the IC will clean the oil out because it cools the air so it's dumping heat should cause the oil to drop out some and not pick any up. you might have to yank it and drain it overnight. At least it will let you wrench on it a bit and get more comfrontable with it so that's a positive...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
and the slippery slope begins:D something will have to be upgraded now, since you are in there.LOL

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Mel, down the road you might want to do the Sonnax valve and tri spring mod to the transmission. This will firm up the shifts a little.
:Thumbs Up

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Darth,

I doubt that the IC will clean the oil out because it cools the air so it's dumping heat should cause the oil to drop out some and not pick any up. you might have to yank it and drain it overnight. At least it will let you wrench on it a bit and get more comfrontable with it so that's a positive...

Let it drain over night. Then flush it out with soap and water. Good as new.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
How do you drain the IC? Might be a good time to do mine....if I can find it in the pile somewhere:D