Most HP and TQ a 10.25 can take?

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
His is a 95, so i think it's the S5-47... Haven't had any transmission related problems, but the clutch is stiff as hell. We don't know whats up with that...

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
The link i posted said the max output torque was 8,300 ft-lb and 2,000 ft-lb continuous. I'm assuming that's after the reduction at the ring and pinion...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if thats right, take 400 ft/lbs, since thats not too farfetched... Now take the T19 1st gr, 4:1, that makes ~1600 ft/lb, which would mean you could only safely run 1.25:1 gears... So, I'll assume it means input...

The only way to tell what kind of power you're actually putting to the wheels is to do a dyno run in every gear, because the engines in our trucks make different power under different loads, especially with a turbo.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Forgive the off-topic question, but how's your transmission handling that power? Do you have an S5-42 or an S5-47?

Thanks ;Sweet

I cant tell you for sure since it hasnt been an issue i havent looked into it but its a zf5 that went behind a stroker the clutch is insane but it holds the power great i pulled a 10k camper to the mini rally never slipped only ever got hot backing up in wet grass

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant tell you for sure since it hasnt been an issue i havent looked into it but its a zf5 that went behind a stroker the clutch is insane but it holds the power great i pulled a 10k camper to the mini rally never slipped only ever got hot backing up in wet grass
Thanks! ;Sweet AFAIK most PSD's had S5-47's behind them, but I think some early ones had S5-42's. I'm just wondering how much torque an S5-42 can "truly" handle long-term...

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
well my projected output will be in the 500 hp/ 1300ft lb range. but i won't know til she gets on the rollers. i think my "omni moose pump" will get the power down, just hoping whatever i do for a rear axle will take the abuse...... :peelout

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the pinion nut tight an you wont have problems with the 10.25 in most cases.
Sure, but what do you do when you find it loose? Cause the crush sleeve is already crushed... Hence my questions about the solid pinion spacers, w/ those you can just run the nut back in and be on your merry way. If it ever comes loose in the first place.

Hey Scoutman, got a suggestion for ya - do you plan on running singles or duals on this truck? If duals, how about F-Superduty Dana 80 (as per Towcat's suggestion) w/ GM 3500HD 19.5 wheels for the rear, and whatever modded D60 you plan on using w/ GM P30 19.5 wheels for the front? Hub opening on wheels will need to be machined to fit the Ford axles, but bolt patterns are correct to match the studs. Do you care if you have 8-lug front and 10-lug rears?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You might want to ask how much your tires will hold. You will probably just break loose driving around, unless you have a 5th wheel to hold your ass down I don't see you putting all that power down to the ground.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Its turbo driving around normal he wont have any traction problems but if he wants he could burn through a set of tires pretty quick

Snow is the only time i have any real issues but thats also an unloaded dually

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i'd like to keep it both 8 lug 6.5x8 pattern. running single wheels too. yeah i know traction will be lacking, the only thing im worried about is applying all that power to a sticky clay pulling track with the weight coming on quick..... that's when the weakest links appear fast!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how about a dana80? they're nearly indestructible in my towtrucks.

or a dana 70?if you wanna stick with 8 lugs.ive got a dana 70hd in my dually with a powerlocker in it.can get pretty much any gear ratio you want for it unlike the 80.

if youre gonna pull on the track with it i wouldnt recomend the powerlocker.ive blown 3 sets of spiders out of it.cookoo