Most HP and TQ a 10.25 can take?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
there are so many 14 bolt disk brake kits out there. or try a AAM out of a newer dmax. come with disk.

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
I would do the 14 b just for the simple fact of that there is more aftermarket support for it than the 10.25. For rear disc, hit up diy4x.com. Kurts stuff is inexpensive and bomb proof.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any thought given to running a Dana 70? I believe they are the same ring gear as a 60 but a heavier shaft and they are 8 lug. Aftermarket support may be kinda thin though. Check out ringpinion.com and see what they offer.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10.25 is stout

just put dana 70 style ring gear bolts with shoulders in to eliminate the factory bolt backing out problem, weld the centersection to the axle tubes and install a crush sleeve eliminator kit....you wont break it.

Apologies for the thread necromancing, got a relevant question - it's been mentioned multiple times that a 9" pinion spacer (aka crush sleeve eliminator) kit works on the Sterlings, well that's great, but which 9" pinion spacer kit to use? For instance:

Someone on Pirate swears by this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rat-4105

While someone on PSN recommended this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-55041

Anyone know what's the difference between the two? The Yukon set is twice the cost of the Ratech set, but at least according to pictures they both come w/ 5 shims in addition to the solid spacer sleeve... Any personal experiences here w/ one or the other?

And as far as welding axle tubes to diff housing, will MIG do the job well, or does it have to be sticked? Also, I know normally when you weld cast you wanna heat it up first, but wouldn't that expand the press fit of the axle tubes in the housing and cause possible deflection while welding w/axle still in truck?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody? Ain't really concerned about axle tubes welding at this point, but I'd like to take care of the crush sleeve situation soon... Russ (typ4), I recall you mentioned you've done this, any chance you remember which 9" kit do you use? Or it really don't matter much, as long as it's a 9" kit it will work?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am far from a professional at welding but i have done some reading up on it. welding cast is a differant beast, part of the problem is that there are so many types and grades of cast that its hard to make a one size fits all fix.

in general though welding cast with steel wire on a mig is asking for trouble, can it be done, yes it but should it probubly not. there are two things working against you, first the metal weld cools at a differant rate than the cast creating tons of micro fractures that can pop wide open as it cool. this can be negated somewhat by peaning the crap out of the weld as it cools and dramatically slowing down the cool time by covering it in sand. its still a toss up if it will work. the second is that the mild steel wire the mig is putting out can pull the carbon out of the cast and it makes the weld super hard martensite that is very prone to shattering and alnost impossible to drill or machine.

some have had some success welding cast with SS wire since it greatly reduces the carbon problem

cast iron seems to be best welded with pre heat, chamfering the weld area and a stick welder with a high nickel content rod. although i have heard of people having good success using Royal 44-30 cast iron mig wire even patching up cracked and holes engine blocks. its $$$ but seems to work, i have not used it myself though so try it at your own risk.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention this in my first post Jon.......

With 500HP you will be over 1000 ft/lbs with that DT466. The HP/Torque ratio is typically 2.2 to 2.5 : 1.

Whatcha ever decide on?

Heath

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i have a 14B behind the shop i'm going to rebuild if i decide to use it, or i have a 10.25 i'm buying. the 10.25 has the gears i want. but i can't find 3.55s for a 14B.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The 10.25 is cheap and plentiful. I would stick with it myself. You can buy them for $100 or less around here.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
i have the 10.25 with my fummins no issues yet im putting around 400hp/800tq to the wheels

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the pinion nut tight an you wont have problems with the 10.25 in most cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert