Mortified... Engine Turned, Converter Turned, Together NOT?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yep, the "Adventures in Chuffland" engine and "Suddenly No Propulsion" E4OD are finally back in the van, but aren't playing well together.

When engine was out, all was well; crank turned. When I was lining up the converter studs, the converter turned.

I've put on 2 nuts on the studs and tightened them. Wanting to turn the crank for the other 2 studs, no go.

WTH?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take nuts of press converter back in deep in trans and dis engauge converter studs from fly wheel and test again...report back

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah... I may have pulled the converter out from the pump notch, Al, when I was lining up the studs and holes. That sounds reasonable.

Will hopefully have time to try this tomorrow afternoon, if not, then Weds. Many thanks, again.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, sounds like the converter wasnt all the way in when you installed the trans.
i hope you didnt ***** the pump or seal!
may have to pull the trans back slightly.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yeh, losing sleep already at the prospect of having done damage. Probably overtightened the stud nuts also.

Will I be able to tell if there's damage, if I pull the converter out?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends how much elbo grease you applied.
No way of knowing without pulling the trans and inspecting.
At this point, I would get a good nights sleep, and getting a fresh start.
Untighten set converter and slap it together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you tightened only 2 bolts on the same area you probably are fine. When I installed my rebuilt enfine the E4OD converter was size on size to the pilot hole in the crank. The trans needed to be pulled up with the bellhousing bolts. Then the crank would not turn no matter what I did. Ended up removing the engine 5 times that day before I measured the fit. Then opened up the pilot fit 1 1/2 thousands and the slip fit all the way up on the bellhousing was made. Was able to spin the converter too. On the E4OD trans the bolts connect the converter to the flywheel. No studs to line up and they have about 1/16th inch gap too. I was more worried about pushing the crank into the crank thrust bearing more than ruining the trans. I felt like a top fuel mechanic removing and installing engines all day long and I did this alone too.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, as I feared (and you fellows probably expected), the converter does not seem to go in properly.

By my measurements, the converter face needs to be about 1 3/8' in from the bellhousing edge to be at the level of the flexplate. It won't give me more than about 5/8".

So, she's back out, on the trans jack, and awaiting a trip back to the trans shop Monday........ :frustrate

The shop manager said it is an aluminum pump, and is one of the more expensive parts in the E4OD. :dunno

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Interesting, though. My converter has notches that would go into the pump gear, like the attached pic, at the bottom of the hole the converter shaft goes into.

I see NO such indentations down there. But I DO see a single indetation, shaped kind of like a Woodruff keyway. WTH, again?

And the wrong gear would keep the converter from going in all the way, right? :dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Gary, my converter has a similar end on its shaft, and it's seeking a pump gear notched like the pic I posted.

But whatever pump gear is in there, is NOT shaped anything like that. The space where the converter end should go through the gear is not opened or notched, except for one small spot, dished concave, and only partway, not all the way through. It is a solid piece.

Respectfully, Gary, there no correctly-corresponding "socket" for the converter end to lock through and into. Since there is no space for the end to pass through the gear; that last, solid, ½" or so of pump gear keeps my converter sticking out too far, while not engaging the pump gear.

Will be loading the trans into my car tomorrow, and taking it to the trans shop after work Monday. Perhaps Mr. Service Manager can show me how the converter locks in, especially after I shine a flashlight into the shaft hole.

I could illustrate this issue if I had a manual-focus digital camera. Alas, I do not.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you spinning the converter by hand while pushing it into the tranny?or just popping it in?you must turn,wiggle and push the converter to get it on both input shafts and into the pump

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Are you spinning the converter by hand while pushing it into the tranny?or just popping it in?you must turn,wiggle and push the converter to get it on both input shafts and into the pump

Will attempt further gymnastics today, 94f450sd, as I'd rather not take it back to the shop if I don't need to.

Have been turning, wiggling, jiggling, to no avail. :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHE I've some times resorted to PLUGGING tail shaft...stand trans on tail shaft...carefully place converter in place and lift and plop until it seats correctly...hope that is making sense????

JM2CW

Hope you can gitter dun without going to shop!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
IMHE I've some times resorted to PLUGGING tail shaft...stand trans on tail shaft...carefully place converter in place and lift and plop until it seats correctly...hope that is making sense????

JM2CW

Hope you can gitter dun without going to shop!

I'll try that, Al, thx much! I still have a thick recovery strap around it, and my engine hoist's convenient, so standing her up won't be hard.

Actually, I diddled with it some during a few idle moments, a couple of hours ago. Converter has now locked into something, and it actually is offering some resistance to turning. But it hasn't gone inward, which is what I still need. Is this progress???? :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online