Mortified... Engine Turned, Converter Turned, Together NOT?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I diddled with it some during a few idle moments, a couple of hours ago.

Converter has now locked into something, and it actually is offering some resistance to turning. But

it hasn't gone inward, which is what I still need. Is this progress???? :dunno

Don't want to hear about yer personal issues ;Poke...

Ya sounds like yer on the first step of locking in place...

Um....hard to say won't really comment.

Basically you will or can get it to lock...then lightly lifting and turning and dropping may lead to the correct alignment...

Just saying...takes some time ...patience and luck...not sure it takes diddling and such during idle moments though;)

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Boss at the trans shop tried, his #2 guy tried, no go! But they say that it WILL work. Boss said he sees the 2 needed flat spots at 5 & 11 o'clock positions.

Their opin is that the center pump gear on these can go off center, making the process, yep, this difficult.

You must be registered for see images attach

They're going to check the pump, then have the converter in place for me. Free of charge, unless there's damage, which they're not expecting to see! :D

Ready as soon as tomorrow!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Gary, my converter has a similar end on its shaft, and it's seeking a pump gear notched like the pic I posted.

But whatever pump gear is in there, is NOT shaped anything like that. The space where the converter end should go through the gear is not opened or notched, except for one small spot, dished concave, and only partway, not all the way through. It is a solid piece.

Respectfully, Gary, there no correctly-corresponding "socket" for the converter end to lock through and into. Since there is no space for the end to pass through the gear; that last, solid, ½" or so of pump gear keeps my converter sticking out too far, while not engaging the pump gear.

Will be loading the trans into my car tomorrow, and taking it to the trans shop after work Monday. Perhaps Mr. Service Manager can show me how the converter locks in, especially after I shine a flashlight into the shaft hole.

I could illustrate this issue if I had a manual-focus digital camera. Alas, I do not.

Some how it sounds like you have the wrong gerotor installed. Split the pump and change it. I'm not sure what gerotor you have and how it fits in the housing, but it has to have the same end as your converter.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I didn't realize there is more to this thread.

5 and 11 oclock position makes installing the converter easier. It doesn't have to be in that spot. The secret is to stand the tranny on end. Place converter and turn until fully seated. It might take several turns to fully seat. By standing the tranny up you use gravity to drop the converter in place.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks, Trackspeeder, but, of course, there was good reason why even the transmission guys couldn't lock in the converter.

They called the next day, and invited me over to see the damage.

(a) gear is correct one. What I saw inside as a dished-in spot was the bevel next to the squared notch. Both bevels got damaged during the crunch.

(b) converter shaft was squeezed during the crunch, and became out-of-round.

SO, replace pump gearset, and send out converter to converter shop to have shaft/hub replaced. Total: $445.

I did use considerable force when bolting all this together. Yeah, I believe that the damage I saw is real. :oops:

At least they will lock converter in properly, and block it in so it will be ready for me to install..... vewwwwy cay-uhfuhwwy. :rolleyes:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sad ending but great to find out what was wrong. Things happen. Now do what a dog does. They kick grass on that **** and forget about it.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sad ending but great to find out what was wrong. Things happen. Now do what a dog does. They kick grass on that **** and forget about it.

Well said, Gary. This near-newbie learned yet another pricey lesson. Time to cautiously bolt that unit in this weekend, and get that rig running, after 10 months. Sheesh.

And, yes, Trackspeeder. On end seems to be the key. The shop's work stand/dolly even stands her up, though I don't know how they get her that way.....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Thanks, Trackspeeder, but, of course, there was good reason why even the transmission guys couldn't lock in the converter.

They called the next day, and invited me over to see the damage.

(a) gear is correct one. What I saw inside as a dished-in spot was the bevel next to the squared notch. Both bevels got damaged during the crunch.

(b) converter shaft was squeezed during the crunch, and became out-of-round.

SO, replace pump gearset, and send out converter to converter shop to have shaft/hub replaced. Total: $445.

I did use considerable force when bolting all this together. Yeah, I believe that the damage I saw is real. :oops:

At least they will lock converter in properly, and block it in so it will be ready for me to install..... vewwwwy cay-uhfuhwwy. :rolleyes:

You did a good job on that converter for sure. Ouch.

When you tighten up the bolts it doesn't take a lot of force to crush the hub.

On the good side you didn't bar or start the engine. That's when you get some real carnage.:eek:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hoping to get the trans back under today. Most tricky, with that tall bellhousing.

Trans shop repurposed an old bracket to keep converter in place until its magic moment........

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well best of luck. Now that you realise what went wrong you are much more prepared this time. Apply some grease on that converter stub shaft so it slides into the crank pilot. If you end up needing to pull the trans up tight with the bolts do it evenly and keep checking the converter for free movement.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
x2 on that. When the bellhousing is fully against the adapter plate, you should still be able to grab a stud and wiggle the torque converter. It won't move very far since the studs are in the holes in the flywheel. I did the same thing on my second tranny install. It went to get the front pump replaced. On my first install, I knocked out a rod bearing. Then a friend told me to tighten the nuts for the converter which I had forgotten to even install. Live and learn!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks again for the encouragement, gentlemen.

I can now report that the trans mated beautifully onto the engine, as I was jiggling the converter constantly. Now, with all six bellhousing bolts tight, the converter still moves freely.

All is well. Hoping to have the beast running soon. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above pic looks great but need more "color" in the next pics...:eek::thumbsup::sly Really happy its coming together smoothly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online