MORE SMOKE!!!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
freight train. these can be tuned to not smoke and "make power" these arent power houses. Any diesel tuned to specs is made to not smoke. Ih didnt roll them out of the plant making clouds of sooty black smoke. the reason your gp controller cylces after start up is to cut down on smoke. Yes to make more power with a boosted application there will be some smoke before boost is accumulated but even that can be done away with, the hypermax fuel aneroid (smoke puff limiter).

It time everyone grow up a bit and realize that the more smoke coming out of the ass of your truck, the less likely you (or the rest of us) will be able to drive it in ten years. these eco nazis are going full tilt. Look at the new 6.4 liter ford/ih. twin turbo and it isnt any better than the 6.0. It has two catalysts, regen mode, diesel particulate filter, and it detuned. all to make the eco nazis happy. They are already putting laws in place in cali to get our trucks off the roads, in steps, over the next 10-2- years.

Step up and figure out how to build power without the smoke. Then we can all benefit. Dont be yet another ******* clouding intersections and smoking tires like all these wanna be honda brats.

alright Im done bitchn.

Punk

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,That is the good thing about bama.We are 30 years behind the times.So when you guys allow your rights and liberties to be taken away we will still have them for the next 30 years or so.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I voted for McCain. I am punk through and through. I will fight till I have no fight left for the liberties we enjoy here in this great land I call home. The fact is times change and the writing is on the wall. Gassers did it in the sixties and seventies and bounced back. We diesels can too. It is just gonna take some ingenuity and persistance. There are FAR too many big rigs hauling all our goods to outlaw diesel, that is our saving grace. Europe has clean burning FAST diesels and we need to look at just what and how they are doing to it.

I want my great grand kids driving diesels And seeing redwoods. call me crazy but I enjoy both.

punk

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fastest diesel truck in the quarter mile right now is a duramax built by Gale Banks and it doesnt blow a speck of black smoke. I think it runs a 7.70

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
thanks. Its all a crazy game of chance, wit and stupidity to me. Diesels can be Far more efficient than they are (europe and jonathon goodwin have proven this), the government is looking for a way to make more money and put more restrictions in place. We need the wit to outsmart them and "build a better diesel". Fossil fuels are running out and yet all of our trucks can run fry oil to trans fluid and (with modifications) do it cleaner than a prius. The future lies in the technology to find fuel and keep the air we (and our beloved diesels) breath clean. Im not a tree hugger, a politition, or an anarchist. Im all three at once and non of them at all. I want future generations to have the oppurtunities to do just what I have done and enjoy doing, its up to them to get out and do it.

"green river" by John Prine comes to mind for all of this.

punk

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I want my great grand kids driving diesels And seeing redwoods. call me crazy but I enjoy both

you have a great outlook there
hope you arnt running wmo because thats hurting the enviroment even worse and beeings that you work a stealership you have a really good supply to use at your desposal :dunno

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
The fastest diesel truck in the quarter mile right now is a duramax built by Gale Banks and it doesnt blow a speck of black smoke. I think it runs a 7.70

Buttloads of nitrous... you dont see Banks in any sled pulls

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I actually do run a mix in my mercedes (the 300sd is mine and the 300d is my fiances). I run almost 30% used atf and pump diesel. They both passed the smog sniffer at the DEQ station running the same mix. Im also working on different forms of injection to clean up the exhaust gas and get more useable power. I have been researching propane, water, water/****, and hydrogen. So far hydrogen seems to have the best cleaning qualities, now I just need a system to inject the correct amount at the right time.

Not to get to over my head but, according to the research I have found/talk to people about/ read, A percentage of hydrogen injected at aprox 30 degrees after initial combustion has the effect of "afterburn" the hydrogen (and presumable oxygen) added to the cumbustion even will "burn off" the soot and byproducts of combustion. That and a catalytic converter from a 99-03 powerstroke should clean the exhaust of even our diesels enough to pass current gasoline regulations (at least here in Or and in PA).

I am no where near a running prototype yet, and still trying to find research to qualify the time and money to build said prototype. Its an idea I have to keep the stupid people from stealing our "old dirty diesels" through inept regulations and laws.

punk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like neat stuff, punk. I consider myself part treehugger too, but the "green movement" can test my faith sometimes, if you know what I mean. Theres nothing green about making vehicles burn more fuel to get slightly lower particulate counts, but thats exactly whats happening. Regulation is always good, right?

I'm building my electric car for similar reasons that you are looking into alternative fuels. The more diverse energy resources we can take advantage of, the better. The further we can stretch every gallon, the better!! I tried making a hydrogen generator, but never really got far with it. Just couldn't find the time to perfect the design and there were always more pressing matters.

As far as internal combustion engines are concerned, diesels are superior to gasoline - period! Any idiot can make a fire breathing Hp monster with a blower on it, but thermal efficiency is really what matters. I wish they were forced to show those numbers on the EPA sticker instead of MPGs.

I wonder if any questions would be raised if efficiency numbers of 18% were placed next to the sticker price on new cars.....

matttheohioboy

1986 F250 6.9 INT.
Reaction score
ok i have been reading this stuff and well ok banks has a fast truck ;burnout he also has more money then god to be able to do that but for the rest of us that dont have that kind of funding you only have a few chooses when it comes to getting more power........... my truck for exp didnt smoke a lick but it couldnt get out of its own way ............ i just turned up my fuel and advanced my timing a bit and its like a brand new truck but it dose smoke some now and as the guy that helped me put it (( the amount of smoke depends on how heavy your foot is )) im also in a area that theres is no real reg on them but im not trying to screw it up for everyone else either i just wanted more power out of my truck and ya the smoke was a lil bit of a plus but im also not trying to look like those highschool kids smoking out the stop light:backoff . but on the tree hugging nazis im running a 50/50 mix of diesel and used veg oil for two reasons i get better mileage and it smells like french fries ;Sweet how can i go wrong ok im sure i have left some stuff out but you get the idea

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its ok for diesels to smoke.... a little, but intentionally making a ton of black smoke is a terrible waste and likely to increase the regulatory burden we already have to deal with. That said, its a free country, for now, so if you must turning up that screw behind the triangular plate is the key. Again its all wasted until you get a turbo on there to help you burn the extra fuel. If I was ever to get a seriously hot pump that could turn out the smoke like a DB4 or a Moose, I would probably want to go with an aneroid smoke puff limiter. As of now my truck makes very little smoke unless my throttle foot gets too heavy and I forget myself for a minute.

chops85

Reaction score
Cat has (had? not sure if its still goin in trucks) the C18 rated at over 700HP and some absurdly high torque number that does not make one lick of smoke.
Instead of smoke, go for proper tuning and loud exhaust;Sweet

Ken[/QUOTE]

I work at a Cat Dealer and I have not seen a C18 in any of the newer trucks. They are putting in the C15 ACERTs which as of 2007 do not smoke at all but still make 550hp. You can rub your finger inside the stack and it comes out clean unlike our trucks. They do put the C18s in the MT800 and MT900 series tractors and they smoke very little.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
but on the tree hugging nazis im running a 50/50 mix of diesel and used veg oil for two reasons i get better mileage and it smells like french fries ;Sweet how can i go wrong ok im sure i have left some stuff out but you get the idea

and of course, burning veg is not like burning WMO or tranny fluid. Veg is basically carbon neutral in it's own rights ( it can't completely claim that unless the veg in question was farmed, processed aaand transported with equipment that was also veg powered , but you get the idea. we have 2 large biodiesel manufacturers in this state, and I'd be willing to bet that the soybean farmers and the company are running their equipment on the stuff )when burning it because it came from a plant source, but even the WMO and tranny fluid crowd will get an efficient burn if set right to where the stuff isn't all that nasty. It's the unburnt stuff coming out the pipe that causes the real problems with any fuel.

A few years ago I had one of my diesel cars on display at a renewable resouce show and even the hardest of hard core enviro nazis wouldn't try to argue down the benefits of a diesel with veg in the tank ( aside from the clowns who think everyone should have to ride a bike, they picked the wrong guy to try and pull that arguement with, when I pointed out that I happen to be an old cripple, they'd shut up :rotflmao

The key is volumetric efficiency , that's not only the key to clean running, but to horsepower as well. You match things up to where you are getting the most efficient burn, you also get the most power . I'm going to get one of those hypermax smoke puff limiters, not so much for the visual smoke reduction, but for maximize power and fuel mileage. When you overfuel and are smoking like crazy, it just bogs the engine down, you have to wait for boost to catch up for enough air to get in there with it to actually go anywhere.