more smoke than usual

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats going on oilburners

well ive been wanting to throw some atf with my fill up but ive always forgot cookoo anyway i rememberd yesterday and i put a half a quart in each tank and it really really smokes now :sly but it never smoked no where near this bad the smoke is blacker than black. is this normal???:dunno ip was replaced and injectors about 2 years ago and its all stock just straight pipe and better intake.

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that all you did? no other changes at all? I never noticed anything like that running ATF in any of my diesels.

and really half a quart shouldn't be enough for you to notice ANYTHING, maybe it'd run a little better tward the end of the tank due to the detergents cleaning the fuel system, but nothing dramatic.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea thats all and its really puffing some smoke im worried now since you said that and how much ATF fluid and you supposed to add with a fill up...what should i do and look for since its smoking like its a diesel dragster

cetanefreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it sound any different? more or less power? is there any chance that a rag or something got sucked into the intake and is partially blocking the intake screen?

I assume you are not turbo'd?

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds the same,still feels the same and im sure nothing was sucked in and it is a non turbo 7.3 so i guess i just wait and see what happens but it wasnt smoking like this yesterday

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the ATF itself, I burn this by the gallons at a time, never had any problems with it. What your issue is tho I have no clue, but something is causing you a major case of overfueling - maybe the ATF dislodged something inside the IP that now got stuck at a different location in the IP? Heck if I know...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF as a fuel additive. Lots of people here do it and it really shouldn't hurt anything, it might effect the timing a bit which could cause more or less smoke but you wouldn't think it would make much difference at a level of 1/2 quart in 19 gallons of fuel.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe cause the air cleaner was dirty and now its breathing i really dont know but when my buddy gets off work he said he was gonna check it out n see what the hell

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A clean air filter will make for less smoke, not more - smoke is an indicator of too much fuel for the amount of available air, so when the air filter is dirty it don't flow as much air as it should to match the fuel delivered by the IP, resulting in an overfueling condition and black smoke. With a new air filter, that shouldn't be the case with your truck.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run some Diesel Kleen through the system? Fill up the fuel filter with it too, then run truck for like 30 seconds and shut her off and let her sit overnight, hopefully that dissolves whatever it may be inside the IP... No guarantees it will help any, but it's better than nothing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin