Moral dilemma

Joe Mc

Reaction score
It has 65000km on it. 2nd engine, 2nd rad and 2nd exhaust. We lost about 4mpg's compared to our 03 6.0L we traded in.

Yikes!!!!

40 thousand miles and 2nd Engine, 2nd Radiator, 2nd Exhaust!!!!!:***:
And down 4 mpg!

I would be un-happy if I had to replace the tires at 40,000 miles. Having to replace all that stuff makes it a Lemon no matter how good it is to drive!

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Overall, the 6.4 is a greater motor than people give it credit for. The people who have great trucks don't go looking for a message board to tell about it 90% of the time. Generally, they only go online to talk about their rig if it has problems, and that community has been smaller with the 6.4 than with the 6.0
I wouldn't have any reservations about a 6.4 with an SCT tune on it.

EDIT: Other than the $50,000+ price tag.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Overall, the 6.4 is a greater motor than people give it credit for. The people who have great trucks don't go looking for a message board to tell about it 90% of the time. Generally, they only go online to talk about their rig if it has problems, and that community has been smaller with the 6.4 than with the 6.0
I wouldn't have any reservations about a 6.4 with an SCT tune on it.

EDIT: Other than the $50,000+ price tag.

LOL I hear you.

Stock 6.4 with 35's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2krpGiuGjA&feature=related

Spartan 250hp 6.4 with 35's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRUHFw9Ea5Y&feature=related

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A dodge is a Dodge, the 6.7 is a decent engine but Dodge can't make a decent tranny/body to go behind it...I'm certified on the 07 Cummins mid range engines and so far they have been pretty good in a 5 ton truck application....The fuel mileage sucks though - as with all the DPF equipped engines. My buddy works for Ford as a service advisor, he said the new 6.4L has been pretty decent so far.....Head and shoulders above the 6.0L....Ford designed the 6.4L - NOT INTERNATIONAL.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
A dodge is a Dodge, the 6.7 is a decent engine but Dodge can't make a decent tranny/body to go behind it...I'm certified on the 07 Cummins mid range engines and so far they have been pretty good in a 5 ton truck application....The fuel mileage sucks though - as with all the DPF equipped engines. My buddy works for Ford as a service advisor, he said the new 6.4L has been pretty decent so far.....Head and shoulders above the 6.0L....Ford designed the 6.4L - NOT INTERNATIONAL.

that one fact alone makes me feel more comfortable that international was out of the equasion i would like to see cat and ford get together.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
that one fact alone makes me feel more comfortable that international was out of the equasion i would like to see cat and ford get together.

I agree, if Cat and Ford got together things would be great ;Sweet. To bad Cat is leaving the road-diesel market here soon, too fed up with the emmisions laws.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I agree International seems to have gotten the 6.4 liter pretty well tamed now. I would go with the F550 6.4L 4x4 in a heartbeat. However the 6.7 cummins has not had a very good trac record and has had been plaqued with issues. I hate to say buy you don't see many Duramax problems at all aleast around here, not that I would buy one.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Ford designed the 6.4L - NOT INTERNATIONAL.

Not sure where you get that info .. But I do work for and International dealer and have been to the factories and seen the line and spoke with the engineers, and I can tell you Navistar Designed, Built and supplied the enginge to Ford. Navistar had it in their chassis 2 years before Ford installed it.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Correct, IH designed it, and it is called the Maxxforce 7. I believe they use a single turbo however. The next diesel, the 6.7, codenamed 'scorpion' will be ford's baby.

MaxPF

Reaction score
Nobody wants to say it, but maybe you should consider a Duramax? I don't care for IFS either, but it's not like you're going to be wheeling the thing ;)

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Nobody wants to say it, but maybe you should consider a Duramax? I don't care for IFS either, but it's not like you're going to be wheeling the thing ;)

well ya funny thing is that they pretty much have been problem free and dependable :angel: but thats GM make something that works and run with it for 10+ years.... If it aint broke, why fix it..... ;p

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Correct, IH designed it, and it is called the Maxxforce 7. I believe they use a single turbo however. The next diesel, the 6.7, codenamed 'scorpion' will be ford's baby.

We have 2 turbos as well. I hate to say this but even the 6.0 was not that bad in our chassis. The problem came when Ford started tweaking the progaming to get more power. That engine was a penny pincher it was not over built and had nothing more to spare so turning it up = failure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel