Moose Pumps and waste motor oil cores

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Goose. I'll take any and all cores for PARTS, as there are plenty of times when a good (mostly external part) has saved us some money.

Just a refresher here for some joining the party late...

I used to recieve a pump, and then have it rebuilt. I could usually get this done in two weeks. Then the grand wizard of pump calibration got divorced and needed better money, so he moved on to another unrelated field of endevor. Fortunately, he is a good natured guy and will do pump calibrations for us. I've been able to get him in the shop 3 times since last fall. This changed my turn around time from weeks to months. So, to combat this, I have gone to an exchange model. I now try to stock several pumps on my shelf (although demand is still outstripping supply, so this has been hard to catch up on). You send me a core, and I sent you a pump. Since I don't pay a flat rate to get the pump rebuilt, I have to have something to charge you when I send you the rebuilt pump off my shelf. So what I did, was I averaged the cost of the first 50 pumps I've had rebuilt, and used that to set the price. That price for a Moose Pump has been $689, based on this average. I've reserved the right to change that as needed, so if your reading this post at some future date, don't assume that is still the price. I always require a PM before anything else happens. Based on this average, I am prepared to come out slightly ahead on some pumps, and not make out so well on others. But when a WMO pump comes in, it ALWAYS COSTS ME MONEY. Sometimes as much as $60 to $100 more for the rebuild. Keep in mind that until the pumps I stock are sold, I am always out of pocket. The stuff I am taking to the rally is about $3500 worth of stuff. That's my money, tied up in something that I can't do anything with, for 6 to 8 weeks. And like you guys, I live paycheck to paycheck. The only incentive I really have to keep doing this, is I like helping people, and I am keeping my pump builder busy. But if I have to keep loosing money on pumps, I have two choices. I can stop doing it, or I can charge more for them. I'd rather not do either. Asking folks to send better cores is the best answer.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said Mel and thanks for providing us with high quality pumps that make real true power of what you say that they make. As there are builders out there advertising pumps that are not what there supposed to be nor do they work as they are stated and also break.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Mel

I'd be super curious to know if you had any data/experience to support how much sooner "typically" a pump might last running WMO vs. just your typical "diesel only" pump. My wondering is more for my own information, not to try and negate your new policy or anything. (Which makes sense, even a centrifuge will not remove carbon)

I have yet to see one last over 50k (on wmo) on a ford IDI and still work very good. My 6.5 burb on the other hand had over 100k of 50/50 when I sold it, and still worked good.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
and i cannow attest for these pumps! FRICKIN REDICKEROUS!!!! dually never ran this good!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, he is a good natured guy and will do pump calibrations for us. I've been able to get him in the shop 3 times since last fall. This changed my turn around time from weeks to months.

I think we discussed this before, so if my memory is correct, to a get very good pump you have to have the knowledge and experience(your good natured guy has this) and the "machine" to hook the pump to. Did you say before that the place he used to work at lets him still use their shop, and that's where the testing machine is located? If that's correct, when are one of you guys going to a auction sale and buy one of these standadyne calibration machines :).

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for one and there very hard to come buy they cost like 30k in there day new so idk not many out there

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel
Bringing any pumps to the rally. Maybe you can have a tech training on just what you do. I dont want to know how to rebuild but some of the basics. I still apricate the timing you did on my truck last year. What an improvement.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I still can't wait to see somebody put a Super Moose on their truck. It turns out that Ken's DB4 hybrid was only pumping 120cc's, so the Super Moose should achieve some pretty good #'s.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be at the rally with some goodies. Last year, I was mobbed before the camper landing gear touched down. LOL I'll be working with Ron to keep pandimonium from breaking out as best I can.

Corey, glad to see you got it on already! Watch that pyro towing your critter.