"Moose Pump? Injectors & Intercoolers"

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It does take some time and fabrication to put one together but if you are capable of this scale of project, I think it is the best way to go, (and the cheapest) Especially for an IDI. Since they only make 15 Max PSI you don't have to use the high end stuff that will handle 50 PSI. You also don't need huge intercooler to make a difference. Mel's is quite a bit smaller than the Super Duty PSD intercooler that I used and he has had some very favorable results.

Figure on spending $300 to $500 to do everything your self, depending on what kind of deal that you can get on an Intercooler, Price of the intercooler tube kit, and how many misc nickel and dime parts that you will need to buy.

Here is the type of intercooler tubes that I used:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Tu...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered how something out of a HO derby care like a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO or even a 300GT VR4 would do, the ricers may be annoying but they tend to have a big aftermarket support system so parts is common. The one I was looking at only flowed 675 CFM, and I'm thinking most folks here are saying you want close to 1000CFM. Another option, I have a local radiator/condensor/intercooler/shop and they have various random stuff for very competitive prices. I need to get specs from here and then look at their inventory and see what could fit without too much hardship or if something was really good but cheap I'd be willing to stick my neck out further and deal with more inconvenience.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin, did you need much more tubing than the kit provided?

The only thing extra that I needed was the Ford Factory intercooler boots for the Super Duty. They were like 3 1/4" OD to 3"OD. The Kit that I got was a little different than the one shown, and ran about 80.00. The 2 Ford boots that I needed were $125.00 for the pair. :eek:

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've got regular 3" silicone hoses on my PSD intercooler, but they were a bearcat to get on. It can be done.

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
Darrin,

I could have hooked you up with the hose fittings. I didn't realize they were so expensive.

Paul