"Moose Pump? Injectors & Intercoolers"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
both the hypermax and the ats kits are very well engineered....but you will pay accordingly. i paid $1300 for mime back in '05.
you can do a homebuilt, but you will be the one doing the cutting and fitting.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped design the DPS studs with Ken. They were 270,000 psi and worked great.... Till I burned down my motor at 5200 miles. The crapy shop that did my machine work on the block didn't use the correct freeze plugs and installed them without the special tool. Two popped out.. Instant burn down.... Those DPS studs didn't last in the next motor but 1200 miles. Two broke and coolant started leaking out. I showed them to the engineers at ARP and they had no idea why the broke. So I'm running the ARP studs at 220,000 psi and very happy with them. They wont break and you can reuse them over and over.

Sounds like it may have been a case of embrittlement. Also having such high tensile strength reduces the flexibility of the bolt. If it can't flex during normal operation, something will give eventually. Harder alloys also tend to become brittle by nature, although ARP's recipe claims to have solved that problem.

Not sure if I'm making sense, just thinking out loud. You probably know more about this stuff than me.

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
So maybe I'm completley retarded But after reading almost all seven Pages on the old IC thread I'm wondering about a few things

1. Will the IC cause my water temperature to increase to the point I cant use my a/c? If so do I have an option to help that?

2. If the IC drops the boost pressure 2-3 psi then dont I lose power overall? Cant I just adjust the wastegate to increase the boost pressure?

3. Turning the IP to adjust for the loss in psi, wont that decrease my MPG?

If you could help me out thanks again for all you help, and overall towcat how do you feel about your Hypermax IC?

Oh yeah one more question what would you estimate you gained by the IC? and How were your EGT's effected?

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
1. The IC may cause a slight increase in water temp, but not enought to hurt anything. IF it does, I would suspect the radiator is full of crud and marginal anyway.

2. The IC does drop boost pressure, but it also lowers the temp of the charge air, making it more dense, and carrying more oxygen. This make up for the lost boost, also, you can turn the fuel up more, since the EGT's will be lower and regain some of the lost boost, and and gain even more power than before the IC.

3. Am more efficent engine, even thought it has the ability to use more fuel, the mpg's shoud go up, because the engine is not working as hard to move the load. That is why guys that turn up the fuel, to a point, in any diesel see a slight increase in the mpg, because since the burn of the fuel is more complete in the cylinder, you don't have to add as much for the same output..........

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
;Sweet Thanks Its starting to click inside my head a Little bit, so as for raw numbers?

To make a custome setup I would need the IC of course then all the plumbing where and what exactly am I plumbing???:confused::confused:, Idont expect an exact answer to that but??

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Sweet Thanks Its starting to click inside my head a Little bit, so as for raw numbers?

To make a custome setup I would need the IC of course then all the plumbing where and what exactly am I plumbing???:confused::confused:, Idont expect an exact answer to that but??
the closest thing to numbers this group has gotten was this last rally.
i don't think there was a before and ater IC install comparo anywhere.
as far as what you're plumbing for is you are routing the air from the turbo, through the IC and into the motor.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're asking me, mime is a ATS kit. I felt it was worth every penny and when I do turbo and intercool another truck, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Way off topic here, but H71993IDI I would love to see a bigger version of the pic you have in your avatar.

Oh ya. Keep asking questions. We are more than happy to help you spend your money.:rotflmao

Tom

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way off topic here, but H71993IDI I would love to see a bigger version of the pic you have in your avatar.

Oh ya. Keep asking questions. We are more than happy to help you spend your money.:rotflmao

Tom

I was admiring that myself. Very nice picture.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to say putting in the IC was almost as spectacular as when I first put in the turbo. There is a very noticable seat of the pants difference. I did not have to turn up my fuel, but I now have a more usable throttle range than before. I also noticed I can go up the same hill in overdrive at the same speed, as the PSD Excursion does, and with an equal feeling of power and available overhead, where as I could not before.

H71993IDI

93 F-250 IDI Banks
Reaction score
I appreciate all the information and now I understand the system a little better Agnem would you be willing to explain how you put your system together, If you have any pics that would be nice if not I understand, I got a hold of hypermax about there system with my banks turbo and they said I would just have to make some hot side intercooler modifications.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pics are all covered under the 2009 IDI Weekend rally prep folder. Just click the picture.
You must be registered for see images

There isn't a lot to describe. Basically I hung the intercooler, replaced my Hypermax standard intake hat, with the one from their kit (I bought it seperately), and fabbed up plumbing using standard shapes, some of which needed to be cut. I have a lot of connections with no bulges in the pipe unfortunately, but at the boost levels I'm running, the clamps seem to be holding fine. I also made use of two pipes from Hypermax. The cooler, some boots, and pipe came from ebay. The rest came from siliconeintakes.com