Moisture on windows

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been pretty wet and cool here in Monterey, lately, and the truck's been getting lots and lots of moisture condensing inside the cab. Takes no time at all for this to happen if the truck is warm... takes forever for it to go away even with the defroster on.

The carpet is dry... no leaks. I just cleaned both drains behind the front quarter panels earlier this year.

Is this kind of moisture normal for these old trucks when sitting out overnight in moist/cool conditions?

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
roll the window down while your parking :rotflmao

my 81 does the same thing and it is a leaky windshield... it takes very little moisture to make one fog up.... you should also check the heater core and door/window rubbers... they get old and shrink so it might not leak enough to make a wet spot but it might let in enough moisture to fog the windows

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
roll the window down while your parking :rotflmao

my 81 does the same thing and it is a leaky windshield... it takes very little moisture to make one fog up.... you should also check the heater core and door/window rubbers... they get old and shrink so it might not leak enough to make a wet spot but it might let in enough moisture to fog the windows

Doh! How can I check the heater core?

Thanks again,

Mike

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
How can I check the heater core?
Do you smell any coolant/honeyish smells in the cab? Windshield ever fog up for no reason? Pull the glovebox liner out, and warm the truck up. Is the core bulging? All are signs of a failing core. Of course once it starts leaking onto the floor, its failed :mad:
Good Luck
James

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:

Thanks again,

Mike

if a 91 is like the 95 i replace a core in, if you remove the glove box you will see the heater box and it will have a access panel to get to the core with about 6 screws in it... remove that cover and the heater core is right there... feal around on it and see if she is wet :D if it is all you have to do is take the hoses off under the hood and one more screw and its out

the truck i fixed didn't leave a puddle in the floorboard but fogged the windows like you said... it wasn't leaking anymore than to leave a little puddle in the heater box... but it did smell like syrup (antifreeze) pretty heavy in the truck

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Shameless plug :D take a look here...the '87-'91 trucks should be similar. :)

If that's not it and you find the cause, I'd love to hear what it was...I've had the condensation problem the entire time I've had the truck (OTOH, I think my rear window now leaks :mad: )...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
:D
Have the same issues but we get some temp vairations due to winter. No brainer there, but Goldie also gets a little extra moisture pickup with the drivers floor pan having a few holes rusting thru. Till spring they can grow all they want but afterwards a few new pieces of sheet metal tacked into place
You must be registered for see images
should solve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online