Mixing diesel and WMO, or just dump into tank?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blasphemy!!!!!:backoff
LoL!! Then you'll really love this
I've been using old discarded rug as the oil thinner. It takes more effort to push thicker oil through a filter and it takes more heat to burn a thicker oil. So by that logic the blue smoke out the tail pipe on a diesel would be unburned oil.
The truck I drive has a turbo and will smoke a bit when burning oil at idle but cruising down the road shows no smoke. That is because the turbo is compressing additional air into the cylinder which aids in fully burning the oil.
Remember a fire need 3 things to live fuel, air, and heat.

I found out the benefits of thinning the oil from 2 different experiences. When I was driving back from Vegas in my truck on 100% wmo, it started to run like crap outside of Fallon. I switched to tank containing #2 and it drove fine for the rest of the trip. I figured my filter was getting plugged since my last tank fully was only filtered to 10 micron. My other experience was in my Mercedes. The turbo doesn't really kick till 1500-2000 rpm I was running 60% wmo and 40% #2 and I was clearing traffic behind me I added a gallon of rug to the tank and shook the car for a while. Soon after driving I got added power and less smoke. An a few weeks ago I drove to Vegas again on a Tank of 75% wmo 25% rug in the mercedes.

Here is what I know, #2 is 10 wt maybe a little less. Rug has little or no viscosity. Wmo viscosity can vary alot but 30 wt could be a decent guesstimate. Rug will thin wmo more than #2 will. A Mercedes is kinda pickey about what it burns but our idi's love it all.

One last thing, straight out of the Mercedes handbook. " Varying with the temperature, add a certain quantity of kerosene, if only #2 summer diesel fuels or less cold resistant winter diesel fuesl are available or if temperatures drop below -16c/ +3 f . If regular gasoline does have to be added, it's proportion should not exceed 30%. Premium fuels should not be used. Engine power may drop according to the proportion of suplementary fuel."

AzTraveller

Reaction score
Over on the 4BTSWAPS.com Forum (Cummins DI Engines ;Sweet), they run no more than 30% WMO, or they start getting lots of smoke. :rotflmao
I've always thought it may also be the IP settings that are their limits. :dunno
They've recommended filtering down to at least 5micron, though some of them prefer to go down to 1micron. otherwise the on-board filter ends up doing ALL the filtering out of the fine junk, causing premature plugging.

Anyone using WTO (TRANNY FLUID) ? :confused:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
and up to 80% *** mix. It also fires up easier first thing in the mornings.

It's probably just me but I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Yes, I know what you mean, but its still funny!!!

Thad

AzTraveller

Reaction score
Yep! Seems to run better than wmo/#2 mix in mine. I've ran up to 70% wmo mix, and up to 80% *** mix. It also fires up easier first thing in the mornings.
I'm sure it DOES Fire up easier in the morning. ;Sweet
My only thought is; Does it lubricate well enough by it's self, or do you need to mix it with WMO? Wouldn't want to cause damage to the IP, injectors, or cylinders.

Side question; How do you separate WMO/***, from Glycol/coolant that's been drained into the same tank by a lube/service shop ???? :confused:

discbrks

Reaction score
I'm sure it DOES Fire up easier in the morning.
My only thought is; Does it lubricate well enough by it's self, or do you need to mix it with WMO? Wouldn't want to cause damage to the IP, injectors, or cylinders.

Side question; How do you separate WMO/***, from Glycol/coolant that's been drained into the same tank by a lube/service shop ????

I'm sure it lubricates at least as well as diesel. I filter it down to 2 microns just like I do WMO. All my *** comes from the same shop - got a buddy there that makes sure I get 100% ***, no water, because he's the only one dumping into my barrel. Every week or so I run by there, pick up the 30 gallon drum and leave him an empty one.

A couple of ways to remove coolant: Whatever your storage container is, make sure there's a drain at the very bottom. Pour in your WMO/*** and just let it sit... the longer the better... every so often, open the drain for a few seconds. You'll first see the goo come out, then it turns to straight WMO/***... close the drain. I've heard that you can heat the container and it will help the coolant fall to the bottom faster.

My truck runs on ***! :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726