Metal dragging sounds????

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
So the trucks been sitting for about a week. Start her up and as soon as i leave my driveway it sound like im draggin some metal :dunno. I checked just about everthing i can think of i cant figure it out. Any ideas? the sound is coming from the back

Last edited:

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
something with the brakes hanging up?

jack up the truck and spin the wheels then put it in gear and see if you have any noise.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I was going to say brakes too. Check to make sure that your exhaust isn't touching your driveshaft or any other parts of the truck. I had that happen on my 1996 F150 before. There is a heat shield between the exhaust and the bed/cab...make sure that isn't dragging on the driveshaft.

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
i checked the breaks and there was a spring rubbing and i fixed sound continues? theres nothing on the exhaust or driveshaft that was my 1st thot. idk im stumped:dunno

thanks for the help im gonna look into it more 2nite

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I'm not doubting you, but are you 100% the sound is coming from the rear?

The front calpier pins are still in place so the caliper won't rub on the front wheel?

There aren't any broken springs that are rubbing the wheels or frame?

Dust shields contacting the drums?

Rocks or anything inside the rear drums?

Other than that, I would put the truck up on jackstands, chock the front wheels and run it in gear with someone in the cab. That would be the only way I can think to diagnose the problem.

Keep us posted!

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I had a metal rattle sound coming from the '89 a few weeks ago. I thought it was something serious in the front, but turned out to be a rusted dust-shield on the front drivers side rotor dragging. That was a relief!

Still check for loose heat shields, exhaust, etc. It would help to have a friend outside the truck to help pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a metal rattle sound coming from the '89 a few weeks ago. I thought it was something serious in the front, but turned out to be a rusted dust-shield on the front drivers side rotor dragging. That was a relief!

Still check for loose heat shields, exhaust, etc. It would help to have a friend outside the truck to help pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Just make sure the friend is not underneath the truck when your driving it :rotflmao. Yes it actually happened I read somewhere once. The guy underneath did not live to tell about it though but his friend sure did. cookoo

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
I had a metal to metal noise the other day and thought it was a brake, it was sort of it was the diamond shaped locking wedge that you drive in to actually hold the caliper in place. It had backed out and was rubbing on the wheel!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had a metal to metal noise the other day and thought it was a brake, it was sort of it was the diamond shaped locking wedge that you drive in to actually hold the caliper in place. It had backed out and was rubbing on the wheel!

The caliper pins. I had one back out a while ago, I guess they are known to weasel themselves out. I was told to try and bent the ends a little to prevent them from backing out. I have two spares in the glovebox just incase.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
The caliper pins. I had one back out a while ago, I guess they are known to weasel themselves out. I was told to try and bent the ends a little to prevent them from backing out. I have two spares in the glovebox just incase.

Thats what I did was bend them a little. But I am gonna also get a couple spares, I crawled under my other pickup and it had one about out also!

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
so i got it jacked up and the sounds dissapeared? check the exausht and suspension and i found the exhaust rubbing and a break line...still not it. I got her doin like 20mph and no sound:dunno...lowered and drove sounds there again. My best guess is its the rear t-case under pressure but why? I am not to familliar with these trucks yet but plan to be the way thing are going with itLOL so all teh help is greatly appreaciated thanks guys -josh

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds likes a u-joint froze up to me. I don't know but its a cheap and easy thing to check.

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
The rear u-joint could be replaced so i droped the line to pull it and its frozen solid so hopefully this is teh problem but now i got anotehr how do i remove the frozen u-joint? i tried beating it out and its not budgen even after being coated in pb? any thots again thansk for the help guys.. they aer not greasable

moto-xking1313

Reaction score
so i took it to my buddies house and we pressed it off it was in pretty bad shape. Got the new one in and it seemed to fix the noise. thanks guys ;Sweet:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin