Mechanical 6.5 turbo?

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
I thought they made one...err, did they? If so, what truck do I need to find at a junkyard, and is it a direct swap for a 6.2 NA?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they made one...err, did they? If so, what truck do I need to find at a junkyard, and is it a direct swap for a 6.2 NA?
they were made from 91-93. it is a bolt-in for everything other than the oil feed for the turbo. that is on the front of the 6.5 block. there are minor differences on the head design of the 6.2 and the injectors, but it's a non-issue if you're going for a 6.5 block.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
I'm going for a complete 6.5 TD conversion to replace a worn-out 6.2 Detroit. Are any years better than others?

Did the Stepvans get them after 1993 or not?

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
What the heck is a DS4 pump? (Well, other than "bad"?)

Would 1991-93 G-vans & P-30 chassis trucks use the same engine as pickups?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DS4 pumps were the ones responsible for PMD failures. google it up.
i don't think the mech pump vans had turbos.

IamDave0887

IDI nutcase
Reaction score
DS4 pumps were the ones responsible for PMD failures. google it up.
i don't think the mech pump vans had turbos.

I'd have to agree with Towcat.

The 96 in my avatar has a DS4 pump on it and I had the stock PMD crap out on me. It's be fine if the PMD just died, but no it can't just die. When your idling in gear and the truck just randomly surges forwards and almost flattens the honda civic in front of you at the traffic light you tend to need a change of shorts afterwards.

Since relocating the replacement PMD outside the engine bay it's been fine. That was back in 2007, and i still have ~3 years left on the 7 year warranty. :D

Still have the original injection pump on it, and at almost 200K miles and 14 years that's not a bad considering the engine still sounds brand new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online