maybe this. . .

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
is the source of my engine knock. I had a conversation with my machinist friend today who stated that it is very rare for a wrist pin to seize. He then went on to say that normally wrist pin problems originate in the piston--usually some kind of deformation. He also mentioned that if a lot of heat is getting by the rings then maybe the piston suffered a little causing the problem.

Maybe 60 thousandths is too much, eh?

Don't know for sure until I tear it down, but the lessons continue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not following where 60 thous would be too much??? Where is this demension?? Hopefully its not the pin to piston clearance....:eek: And I don't see it being piston to cylinder clearance either?/ Just trying to follow this out...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 60 thousands he is refering too is the amount milled off the top of the pistons to lower the compression ratio.

I think.......:D

Barney will confirm or deny.

Heath

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
with running stacked or twin turbos I wonder what the compression ratio was as in did you cross over the magic mark and deform the piston that way - sort of like I did with the water injection.....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
with running stacked or twin turbos I wonder what the compression ratio was as in did you cross over the magic mark and deform the piston that way - sort of like I did with the water injection.....

There were skid marks on the cylinder wall of the suspect piston which coincidentally was also the cylinder that was sleeved.

The other 7 holes from the underneath side looked like a freshly built motor.:dunno

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
There were skid marks on the cylinder wall of the suspect piston which coincidentally was also the cylinder that was sleeved.

The other 7 holes from the underneath side looked like a freshly built motor.:dunno

If you read sleeve installation instructions for press fit sleeves, they tell you there can be deformation of sleeve when being installed. Even a few thousands could cause this?? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A press fit sleeve needs to be bored once it has been installed. You can't just press them in and run it. No telling what the bore looks like. At least they need to be honed looking for high and low spots with a 3 inch stone. Not the balls on the brush either...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
A press fit sleeve needs to be bored once it has been installed. You can't just press them in and run it. No telling what the bore looks like. At least they need to be honed looking for high and low spots with a 3 inch stone. Not the balls on the brush either...

Yeah, honed, we NEVER bored this type of sleeved motor. Keep in mind, in about 30 minutes with a sunnen hone, I could easily take .030 out though, maybe more if I tried and didn't take time to install block plates, or care if it was truly round!!! :) But yeah, we always honed, bore gauged, honed, looked for hi/low spots, etc.

I wonder what method of retention they used to keep the sleeve in place?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score

First it was Stack Holes you were checking out - now it's skid marks....

So what is your site number down in Bowling Green because I want to make sure I'm on the other end.....

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
First it was Stack Holes you were checking out - now it's skid marks....

So what is your site number down in Bowling Green because I want to make sure I'm on the other end.....

And they were making fun of me for the pitching a tent comment for the Michigan get together!!! :)