Maybe getting 6.5!

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
I was wondering what all you guys have done to your 6.5s and how much hp are you getting? I will probably be trading my Cummins engine for a 94 Chevy 3500 6.5 with a blown head gasket. This of course means I will go through this motor to see what I can get out of her hp wise! What yall think trade a motor for a whole truck!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
If the pickup is in good condition it may be worth it. If you want power from the 6.5 be prepared to do a lot of mods, spend some $, and not have a whole lot when your done. You would probably be better off stickin the cummins in something else and not have the electric injected 6.5.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I think the 6.5 was only meant to be in an ice cream truck.
Not much power to be had. I've done just about all there is too do to mine and it's still a roach.
How ever,,,,when I get it back in a few weeks, I'm sure it'll haul.
Allthough,,,,,it has been a good motor, 120,000kms and still running good.
It's for sale if you know of anybody that needs it.
I won't have room for it after the 12V is in place:D :D :D

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Originally posted by rubberfish
I think the 6.5 was only meant to be in an ice cream truck.
Not much power to be had. I've done just about all there is too do to mine and it's still a roach.

What all have you done to yours and what are your #s? Pretty much even swap here my cummins is old and needs to be gone through so I figure I will just get rid of it and buy another latter. Main reason I want to do this is because it is a ext. cab dually! This will end up being my tow truck anyways, will build p-pumped cummins for Ford!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
It will surprise them right up until it takes a dump on its self. Been there, done that. If you want a towing wagon then buy a newer dodge. I have never been satisfied with my 6.5 and have done a lot of mods. I finally had it running pretty good recently and then today I pulled off my county road into the acceleration lane and it started missing and spitting anti freeze out the exhaust. That has been my continuous experience, and all the people I know that have 6.5's have about the same luck. I'm not trying to discourage you from you deal, I just think that you should know what they are all about.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
I know a lot about hte problems they have and really dont care, the way I see it is that I will only have $300 in this truck since that is all I have in the Cummins! I'm going all the way through the motor including O-ringing the block and heads and so on so this should stop the headgasket problems! Has anyone on here went through their 6.5 or have you all just done bolt ons?

Whit

Reaction score
I cant believe your still considering this deal, If ya want to go thru all this work do it to the Cummins and look for a rig to put it in and then you will have something....................JMHO

Cheers, Kevin

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by Whitmore
If ya want to go thru all this work do it to the Cummins and look for a rig to put it in and then you will have something
What he said,,,,,, and what I'm doing:)
In my opinion you'll be way ahead.
The trucks are nice, it's too bad they don't come with a real diesel.

The 6.5 is like a high matainance women,
Keep chucking money at it, and it'll keep screwing you.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Alright I figure that buy the time I have the Cummins ready to go and in a truck I will have almost $20,000 in it or I can trade for the other truck drop in a few hundred to fix it and then sell it for about $5,000. This makes some quik cash for me and the opertunity to look for a p-pumped cummins for my other truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.