Maxcool tranny cooler fittings

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Those of you that have the max cool tranny cooler have any of you found a source for 90 degree fittings? Everyone I checked locally doesnt have them :(

gandalf

Reaction score
You've got to give us a bit more clue what you want, besides just "90° fitting". Do you want steel, brass, nylon, thread/thread, thread/barb,...?

I have what you may want mounted on my factory fuel filter. It's a brass barb/thread 90° fitting. Picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

I got it locally at Royal Brass, a specialty brass fitting outfit. They have a web site, Royal Brass

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm lost on l what type of fitting you need. I tried looking up a picture on google of the tranny cooler but the pictures don't do any good. I suspect them to be barb fittings since in the picture they show loose hose and most people don't have a hose crimping fixture at home.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
3/8 inverted flare to a 3/8" barb, can find NPT and regular flare fittings easily but no one has inverted flare.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Look in the yellow pages under hose, You should be able to find a hose specialty shop that will have the required adapters that you need. Royal brass and hose is a nationwide chain, they have shops in most major cities that make up every kind of imaginable hose assembly . and there are others as well . Ive always fould the hose shop to have what I need and when they dont have it on hand, they have it drop shipped to me., but they have catalogs that most folks just dont have access to.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Checked all of them locally 3/4th never heard of it the other 1/4 couldnt get it (apparently a 90 for an inverted flare is super rare) that said I may have found 1 place online I can get it, sent them an email to verify first though

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
your looking for this bad boy.....http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...-1_2638&mn=Edelmann&mc=EDE&pt=N2057&ppt=C0248

here is another person's install with these fittings.....

Got my Tru-Cool 47391 transmission cooler installed. Took the truck for a drive and the temps never got above 135* on my Aeroforce Interceptor. The same drive prior to changing the cooler showed the temps around 150*. That is with the ambiant temperature at about 90*.

I like the placement behind the bumper as well. It moves it out about 2.5" from the intercooler. It also free's up a lot of surface area in front of the intercooler that the old cooler occupied. Not only did it move the cooler down, but it also shortened the amount of hose from the radiator cooler to the aux cooler, and back to the hard lines. It also reduced the distance the transmission pump has to pump the fluid up into the old cooler. The inlet and outlet of this cooler is about 3/4" lower than the inlet and out let of the radiator cooler.

This is the old cooler behind the grill.

The install is pretty straight forward.

Remove the bumper and set it on a firm surface so you can drill 4 holes.

Center the cooler on the bumper and mark the holes to be drilled.

For the fittings to make the 90*, get yourself a pair of the Edelmann 822660 from your local auto parts store. It requires special fittings since the cooler is a 3/8" inverted flare fitting on both ends. I got mine from O'Reilly (thanks to Tom S. for helping me source the proper fitting). These have a 3/8" hose fitting on them, but the 5/16" rubber hose will flex enough to fit over them. It is a tight fit. I plan on upgrading to 3/8" Super Duty transmission lines in the near future.

Installed. The fittings are about 1/16" above the lowest part of the bumper. That should be enough to protect them.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got to give us a bit more clue what you want, besides just "90° fitting". Do you want steel, brass, nylon, thread/thread, thread/barb,...?

I have what you may want mounted on my factory fuel filter. It's a brass barb/thread 90° fitting. Picture:

I got it locally at Royal Brass, a specialty brass fitting outfit. They have a web site, Royal Brass

Gandalf, if that is the Kragen (Mr. Gasket) fuel pressure gauge on your fuel filter base, I suggest that you switch that one out. I had that exact same setup on my truck and it lasted about 2 days. One Sunday night while making a 130 mile trip back up to college, the gauge decided to burst and flooded my entire engine bay with diesel fuel. I must have lost about 5 gallons in 20 miles and showered the cars behind me with fuel. Long story short, I spent most of that night on the side of the road trying to fix that mess. That was last February. I ended up taking it off and putting the schrader valve back in place.
That Mr. Gasket pressure gauge doesn't have any liquid in it to keep the needle steady so it will shake itself apart.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hydro, thanks for the tip on the no fluid in the gauge. my gauge does not have any fluid. i think i am going to take it off now.

It could have been a faulty gauge. But in my opinion, adding a fuel gauge in that location is just adding another potential weak link in the fuel system.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Checked all of them locally 3/4th never heard of it the other 1/4 couldnt get it (apparently a 90 for an inverted flare is super rare) that said I may have found 1 place online I can get it, sent them an email to verify first though

WOW, they aren't trying very hard... and I thought I lived in dirtwater nowhere. THat piece should be a simple find. Sounds like they just dont want to be bothered.. although if you aren't totally committed to the thing yet, it might not be too late to swap it for a cooler with JIC/ AN fittings :D You may thank yourself later on. The fit on any inverted flare fittings made since the early 70s is downright pitiful and they are horribly prone to seepage, especially when using aftermarket ( read that china ) adapters .
Ive even had a number of factory replacement radiators ( we're talking high dollar euro car dealer rads) where the blamed things wouldn't seal no matter what was tried and ii finally ended up having to bypass them since they were out of warranty.

gandalf

Reaction score
Gandalf, if that is the Kragen (Mr. Gasket) fuel pressure gauge on your fuel filter base, I suggest that you switch that one out....
That Mr. Gasket pressure gauge doesn't have any liquid in it to keep the needle steady so it will shake itself apart.

That's already been decided. I made that decision and mentioned it in another thread about a week ago. It is a Mr.Gasket gauge, and it is leaking. The glass has fogged over, though I can still see the needle, sort of. That POS gauge is coming out. I like the idea of having a pressure gauge, but not that one.:puke:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's already been decided. I made that decision and mentioned it in another thread about a week ago. It is a Mr.Gasket gauge, and it is leaking. The glass has fogged over, though I can still see the needle, sort of. That POS gauge is coming out. I like the idea of having a pressure gauge, but not that one.:puke:

Good deal. The instant I got that thing off my truck that night, I smashed it on the ground and got my money back at Kragen lol. Told the guy its smashed because it was already broken to begin with and that $20 gauge left me stranded on the side of the road for 3 hours while my buddy came to my rescue. Learned my lesson