Max temp in an E40D is ???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's hot, but not near the limit. FOrd sets the limit at 240, but at 250 ( and possibly a little less)the thing melts down into a gooey puddle and shoots fluid out the front seal
Some atf manufacturers list that for every 20deg f above 175 it cuts the fluid life in half, so at 195 deg it would be good for 5ok miles, and at 240 deg it would be worthless

Might be time to consider an aux cooler, the kind with its own thermostatically controlled fan are really great and you can mount them under the truck where hte extra heat isn't effecting your rad.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a former Ford Tranny Engineer on another forum that stated in a recent post that 250 is the upper short term limit and 220 is the upper long term limit for the trans. Now what RLDSL is stating is correct too, but that is related to the fluids' longevity. So, you really need to take both into consideration, but you're ok with your temp.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
okay good it started shifting a little soft when it was that hot and it stayed that hot for at least 30 miles. I do have an aux cooler, but runs through the rad cooler to, I switch to just the aux cooler, we'll see how it does today.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your location in Alabama you are prolly OK not running the tranny fluid thru the rad. If you were in colder winter temps, it's best to run the fluid thru the rad to warm it up quicker for better shifting. That bypass hose going too the rad does that for winter driving.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I never run my fliud through the radiator -even in Massachusetts on 0 degree waether.Just warm up 10 minutes or drive slowly for the first 1/2 mile. I use big coolers and don't like anything over 190* at 200* I always got nervous. Worked super for me.I will have a hard time beoin convinced that a big cooler is too much cooling.
Oh well guess I am pig headed stubburn old F#^T ! I think that is what my wifeee named me...! Oh well she puts up wit me.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never run my fliud through the radiator -even in Massachusetts on 0 degree waether.Just warm up 10 minutes or drive slowly for the first 1/2 mile. I use big coolers and don't like anything over 190* at 200* I always got nervous. Worked super for me.I will have a hard time beoin convinced that a big cooler is too much cooling.
Oh well guess I am pig headed stubburn old F#^T ! I think that is what my wifeee named me...! Oh well she puts up wit me.

Well yeah GRUMPY.:D If you let it warm up for 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Depends on where you are taking the temp reading... I took mine in the hot line as it exited the trans vs in the pan - there is a difference. In the pan it has already been cooled and is mixing.

If in the pan I wouldn't let it get above 200 in the hot line coming out I wouldn't let it get above 225 before I would back off some to let her cool. I would recommend running through the bottom rad cooler and also through an overly large aux cooler. The reason for the bottom rad cooler is simply put a liquid to liquid cooler is much better than a liquid to air cooler any day of the week. The coolant in the bottom of the rad is not 195 degrees it's much cooler so it will strip a lot of heat from the trans fluid then let the other cooler drive it a few degrees lower before the trans gets it back. I never had problems with my trans even when I beat the snot out of it. But I also didn't just slam the go pedal down and forget it - I would when she would shift and I was pulling a trailer or working the truck I would back off the go pedal just a little so that she could shift and get meshed back up in gear then pour the coals to her because while the trans is shifting she's slipping and slippage causes more heat and heat is the number one killer of auto trans....

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I put my sensor where that brass plug was on the drivers side, of the trans, The only problem with running the fluid through the rad is, the truck was running at 215, and the trans was at 210, once I turned off the a/c to let it cool some the truck went to 200, the trans slowly went to about 195 +/-, but when I turned the a/c back on the truck went to 210 and the trans quickly warmed to 210 as well, won't be towing heavy today + its not as hot today, so can't test it to see if its any better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online