Manual locking hubs won't disengage

Big Boss Hoss

Reaction score
So i can put the hubs in the free position but they don't seem to disengage. When i spin, try to spin the front drive shaft it moves a bit then locks up, ***??? Are the hubs just shot or is there a bigger problem??? The drive shaft should spine freely when there in the free position correct?? should the axle shaft spin or what?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my truck (may not apply to all) you have to back the truck up a short distance to get the hubs to unlock. There is tension on them and until that tension is released, they will not unlock by just turning the know on the hub. Again, that may not work with your rig, but it is simple and quick to try.

Heath

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you try to spin the driveshaft, do you have the front wheels off of the ground? If not it might not be your hubs but a bad wheel joint locking up when your axles tries to spin. If your front wheels are off of the ground and your wheel spins while you spin your driveshaft its your hubs. I'm not sure how they lock and release but it might be dirt in there or just bad hubs like you said. I would check out your wheel joints first though.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Sounds to me like they need to be flushed, cleaned and re-lubed. The only time I even had a problem with any manual hubs, was in the winter, when the wheel bearing gears is really stiff.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I had one of mine get stuck, we tried backing up & high range/low range & finally pulled it off. Made sure it was clean, it turned just fine out of the truck. Put it back on & never had a problem since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online