Manual Fuel Shutoff lever conversion questions

CHarlan

Reaction score
Well, POS Fuel shutoff solenoid took a **** yesterday, so it looks like I am going to do a manual conversion for it. What is best? PTO cable, or something similar??? I am looking at NAPA.. Greg said to check the cornbinder (IH) dealer, as they have some of these, for the DT466's with P Pumps. what do y'all think?

Max Power

Reaction score
Is a new fuel shutoff expensive or what? What goes wrong with them? Are they not rebuildable?

CHarlan

Reaction score
no, they are about $400, manual cable is ~$50..... They are known to go out, and they are sealed shut, so I dont think they can be rebuilt.

Max Power

Reaction score
After you remove it send it to me. I'd be interested to see if I can rebuild it.

CHarlan

Reaction score
if you did rebuild it, and made it work, let me know how much $$, and I would pay you!! I would like to put the solenoid back on, though in no hurry.

Mr. Fix it

Reaction score
Yes, it seems like it could be rebuilt. I bet I'm missing something, but a selenoid is just a coil of wire and a metal rod in the middle of the coil. When voltage is appilied, it pulls on the metal rod (electromagnet). Seems like they could just over heat from repeated use, or the coil wire coating eventually wears off?

It would be interesting to reverse engineer one of these things. Has anybody else tried playing around with one? Kevin

RAF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHarlan,probably better off going with the cable,easier on the wallet and does the same thing. I/H mechanical 466s use this. Most of the ones that I run across,the plunger/spring gets rusted /breaks and falls out. Tried fixing them before, didn't last too long.

CHarlan

Reaction score
Well, got all the parts from IH last night, and got it on!!! Total Cost: $72. Big difference, and now I can set my alarm, while the truck is running! how cool!! hahahaha, anyways, I will get some pics when I get a chance!

Max Power

Reaction score
My offer still stands. I have rebuilt a lot of parts in my day ;) PM me if you interested and I will give you my address. No charge to fix it if I can.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I do know them things get pretty hot while in the ON position. While adjusting my gov. lever, I had the ignition on to hold up the fuel shut off. It's hot to the touch after just a few minutes. My mechanic asked Piers if that was normal and he said yes. I can see after many hours of operation, the heat would wear on the parts. Be sure to report back if this part is rebuildable. Inspecting the protector boot occasionally to make sure it's not torn can increase life. If the boot tears, it's much cheaper to replace that than the entire solenoid.

Max Power

Reaction score
CHarlen never got a hold of me to get my address. If anyone else has one I would like to see it.

BigBadDodge

Reaction score
Originally posted by CHarlan
no, they are about $400, manual cable is ~$50..... They are known to go out, and they are sealed shut, so I dont think they can be rebuilt.

Were did you get that $400.00 figure at you can get a new one from piers for $149.00

PDR2114981 Fuel shutoff solenoid kit SA-4981-12 $149.00

BBD

MLee

Reaction score
Plus the manual set up can be used as a fuel/oil primer when changing filters. And if done as a concield handle type thing, an anti-thieft device. so it has its advantages.
Marv.

BLUE68FORD

Reaction score
my solenoid is going south... always works with a cold start but never with a warm start. Pardon the "stupid" question, but can someone tell me how the manual shut off works? . . . Open it when you start, close it when you stop? Any finer points?