Making the third door an option on an OBS SCLB

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 95 super cab and I love the OBS the most of any body styles. I'm not much for the newer body styles but I like to look at them (wait, am I married to the OBS?)
What I do really like about the newer bodies is the so called third door on the newer super cabs. So, has anyone attempted to fit an OBS or older super cab with a third door option? I think structural integrity of the cab is the biggest concern, and there would be plenty of body work as well. I'm neither an engineer or a body tech.
Just a mental curiosity at this point but something I would definitely like to accomplish at some point.

1995 Ford F250 SCLB 7.3L PSD 4wd ZF5/ Luk SMF, Dana 50/ Man Lockout, Strictly Diesel Oil Dipstick Adapter, stock.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a discussion on this a long while back. I think the consensus was that it is probably possible. You could pull the hardware off another truck frame it up and cut it out. Main problems are roof structure and your seatbelt mounts assuming that you could get everything cut and braced up square. Anything is possible but it's not going to be easy.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
souinds like alot of extra work/designing for just 1 door.
its more than likely more work than the work i did to add 2 more doors.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you did it right, structurally the cab could be every-bit as strong as before. The real killer would be the short proximity of the quarter window to the back of the cab. I've thought about this too, but I wouldn't stop at the 'third door', I'd add a back driver's side too.

Take and cut the B-pillar, off at the top and bottom, fab up a latch catch, maybe pirating one from a 'barn door' van's rear door for the top and bottom. Grab the handle and linkages from the van's door, open the back of the b-pillar(facing the cab back), add the linkages( modding where needed), swipe the hinges from van door, decide where the rear-cut would be, cut it, box the HELL outta it, making it something like a 4x4 size, using bent sheetmetal and welding, add the hinges from the van, notch the back of the sheetmetal where it's gonna intersect the cab, fab up an inner structure for the door, including a new rear inside scructure, reinforce the rocker panel, reinforce the roof intersection, reinforce the b-pillar, fab u some inside panels from maybe FRP or maybe metal or wood to make it 'civilized'.

If you bought the parts, 'put me up' somewhere, paid me a minimal amout, paid my expenses, and had a shop where I could work, I'd come out and do it for you. cookoo :rotflmao

Edit; P.S. --Food too, food too

Last edited:

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did more thinking on this and am even more positive it could be done well and pretty easily and inexpensive too, maybe the whole thing as a real project, maybe-even under $2,000. :sly

Edit: Paying me and 'putting me up' maybe $3,000-$3,250. ;Really

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did more thinking on this and am even more positive it could be done well and pretty easily and inexpensive too, maybe the whole thing as a real project, maybe-even under $2,000. :sly

Edit: Paying me and 'putting me up' maybe $3,000-$3,250. ;Really

i added 2 more doors for just over 1k in parts/and consumables.
labor cost me 300 bucks. for 6 people lol (pizza, beer, and herbal therapy)

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i added 2 more doors for just over 1k in parts/and consumables.
labor cost me 300 bucks. for 6 people lol (pizza, beer, and herbal therapy)

Well, I'd rather aim high and not have the guy pissed at me and me having to 'eat' whatever 'unexpected' costs. I've done enough building and rebuilding crap to ALWAYS factor-in the 'unexpected costs'. Besides, I'd have to go all the way to Arkansas, then do it, I was figuring I'd be cold-calling lots of auto recyclers and 'pick your parts' to be sourcing the required parts, plus the fuel to get there, plus if he/she/they were putting me up in a motel, motels aren't cheap, cheapest being $65 per night here. Crap ads up, besides, I couldn't call on any friends to help, as I'd have none there. :dunno Seems like a pretty decent or even low price to be making a complete one off of the guy's truck. :dunno

What about the B pillar being taken out? How would you ensure the cab is still rigid enough in a 3rd door setup?

Nope, because you'd loose the factory B-pillar, but in it's place, you're adding back in a mobile B-pillar. There's still structure there, but it's moving with the 'third door', and locks in when the door closes. Plus when all's said and done, you've added reinforcement to the roof and rocker areas to handle the additional stresses. So, I can't speak for you, but for me, nope, I wouldn't be worreid to do that to my own truck, IF I had one I could start with. :dunno