Lykkan's rebuild thread

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=FERV765-01
Here is the adapter you need to use with a timing light that has advance. Look in the tech articles, there is a thread on timing with this adapter. If you are slightly (1/16" or so) advanced from the static marks on the gear cover you are probably somewhat in the ball park. Until the cold advance kicks off the injection pump is advanced internally. At about 130 degree coolant temp the advance will drop back to base level. To time you need the engine at operating temperature and the rpm held at 2000.
Rt click on picture and select "view image" for a smaller picture.

Attachments

• DSC00166.jpg
    DSC00166.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 55

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the adapter you need to use with a timing light that has advance. Look in the tech articles, there is a thread on timing with this adapter. If you are slightly (1/16" or so) advanced from the static marks on the gear cover you are probably somewhat in the ball park. Until the cold advance kicks off the injection pump is advanced internally. At about 130 degree coolant temp the advance will drop back to base level. To time you need the engine at operating temperature and the rpm held at 2000.

a trick i learned from a member on here is a wedge shaped piece of wood.
guess its just about as easy as the turnbuckle.
also... that godd-cuss ******-cuss hard IP return line is such a pain.....
another(main) reason i deleted it

also Tom, you should polish the inside of that air horn :D

Lykkan

Reaction score

Thanks for the information. I ordered a brake booster today so I'll have to order that timing tool next week. Price is very affordable compared to what I had been seeing

sassyrel

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I ordered a brake booster today so I'll have to order that timing tool next week. Price is very affordable compared to what I had been seeing

you put on a rebuilt pump. right??? if its by a reputable source,,you may time the truck now,,and never again....most shops,,charge around 25. worth it to spend that amount for the tool??

Lykkan

Reaction score
you put on a rebuilt pump. right??? if its by a reputable source,,you may time the truck now,,and never again....most shops,,charge around 25. worth it to spend that amount for the tool??

Knowing me I'll probably tear into the engine a couple of times so it'll pay for itself eventually
is it generally that cheap to pay a shop to do it?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I got the timing adapter mentioned above. Use with any dial back timing light. Absolutely worth it if you plan to have one of these trucks for any length of time. Used mine a couple times already so has paid for itself and I know timing is set properly right where I want it. No worries about paying to outsource basic maintenance any time I need to pull something apart or change anything. It is good to check timing as the fuel system wears, every 1-3 years, or so I've been told.

Lykkan

Reaction score
I got the timing adapter mentioned above. Use with any dial back timing light. Absolutely worth it if you plan to have one of these trucks for any length of time. Used mine a couple times already so has paid for itself and I know timing is set properly right where I want it. No worries about paying to outsource basic maintenance any time I need to pull something apart or change anything. It is good to check timing as the fuel system wears, every 1-3 years, or so I've been told.

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll just purchase one. After brake booster I'll have to order a compressor as the one on there is about to blow. Joys of a vehicle that sat for a long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828