Luvs me some WMO

wmoguy

Reaction score
A while back I did a 2011 year end thread about the savings I realized while using WMO blend in 2011. (I can't find that thread now ) Well it turns out the #'s are even better than expected.

At least in my scenario, being self employed, I get the privilege of expensing tons and tons of miles for "business mileage" I am NOT advocating anyone create tax fraud here, or do some creative tax work, however it mileage deductions, when used right are legit deductions...

Anyway, Last year, for the 1st half of 2011, the writeoff amt was .51 IIRC, and .55 the 2nd half of the year. This made a NICE deduction for my 2011 tax return (unfortunately I still paid a butt load of taxes. :mad: a few weeks back)

So lets for a minute assume one has a paid for Centrifuge system, and oil collection system. Lets also assume one drives 25k miles a year that can be legally deducted on taxes.

Costs of making the fuel (using my blend) = $.50 a gallon
Avg. Fuel Mileage= 14 mpg
Total Gallons used= 1786 gallons (to go 25k miles)

Total Costs to make and use fuel= $893.50

Total Costs if ran Diesel only (assuming $4.00 a gallon static price) = $7140

Total Fuel Savings Cost= $6246.00

Mileage Deductions (where applcable) 25k * .52= $13,000 deductible on taxes

It's a little hard to calculate a hard costs savings annually, since the tax deduction isn't a 1:1 scenario. Suffice it to say, in the above listed scenario, it's pretty reasonable to say that at least an $8,000 upswing is legitimate! Me loves my old and slow IDI. Its making me (or saving me depends how you look at it) money just by driving her!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good bit of info again. I hope the people (elected & not elected) that make the laws, don't start making harder to get and get rid of wmo. Looking at the money angle of this, if enough people use that amount of wmo for fuel it could make a dent in someones wallet.?.?
Side note, my local Oriellys said they do not take used oil filters, but they do take wmo,(working on that). So does that mean that only oil change places would only take filters???

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people don't realize how much fuel they use in a year. I have spent nearly $2000 on my 'fuge, barrels, and misc stuff, but at $80 a week in fuel bills, my setup will be paid off in 7 months and I can sell the excess.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what the laws are exactly, but I just heard of some one getting popped for running WMO without a fuel blenders licence and not paying road tax.

As soon as they saw black when they dipped his tank, they immediately knew what was up. Ive personally seen them dipping tanks at farm auctions already, and they DO NOT NEED TO ASK PERMISSION to do it, whether your there or not.

I think federal law requires a person to have a blenders licence and to document gallons used and to pay an excise tax per gallon of fuel used. Thought it was roughly 22 cents per gallon.

Fines were in excess of 2000 bucks so playing it safe may be wise...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I just read that statutes for those of us in Florida and it says that a blenders license is only deemed necessary if a person is making a business of it. I plan on doing more reading about it though. Thanks for the heads up.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I just read that statutes for those of us in Florida and it says that a blenders license is only deemed necessary if a person is making a business of it. I plan on doing more reading about it though. Thanks for the heads up.

Thats exactly what my atty told me too. I did do some reading on my own that confirmed that as well. I know probably 25 peeps that make homebrewed Bio Diesel and not one pays any fuel taxes on it. Some are even fairly public figures in Colorado in terms of pushing for the use of these fuels.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly what my atty told me too. I did do some reading on my own that confirmed that as well. I know probably 25 peeps that make homebrewed Bio Diesel and not one pays any fuel taxes on it. Some are even fairly public figures in Colorado in terms of pushing for the use of these fuels.

Here in Wisconsin, I must have a blenders licence if I plan on running any mixed fuels besides whats at the pump. They dont seem to crack down to much on bio-diesel because of the all the press its got in the past few years. It also seems alot of states also have clauses that excempt bio diesel.

Blending WMO with diesel, kero, RUG appears to be considered something different...

Last edited:

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called and talked with someone at the Wi department of revenue today I had them confused. I was the only person the has ever called and asked if I was required to pay a tax on wmo fuel. The told me form MF-109 that apply to motor vehicle fuel tax-how dose it apply to biodiesel and vegetable oil used in vehicles. question 10 answer h. shows {the first 1,000 gallons or renewable fuel produced or converted from another purpose each year by an individual and used by that individual in his or her personal motor vehicle, provided the individual dose not sell any such renewable fuel during the year. }

So in short the answer I got was no I don't have to pay tax you are exempt I think or maybe you do have to pay tax I don't really know how to answer that. Then it was your truck can run on oil?? That works??

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little late to the show but in Indiana you have to fill out a BD-200 form. You are exempt from paying taxes on the "bio-diesel" if you make less than 2000 gallons a year. Not many ppl get check around here according to the local PD and the State Police but I figured it's better to be safe than sorry. ALSO My exemption/permit is valid for up to 5 yrs at a time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online