Low MPG, what to expect and what to check?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its really difficult to say if the turbo oil drain grommet will hold out the water when washing down the valley pan. What you could do is drain the oil. then install the drain plug. then wash down the engine and remove the drain plug. See if any water comes out. If it does don't worry. Let it drain for a few hours. Plug and refill and run. Make sure the oil and coolant reaches a normal temp so any moisture burns off that might be in the oil.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Just an update, filled the truck since there's snow coming tomorrow and the extra weight will help. Looks like 12.6 MPG over 440 miles biased more towards around town than highway. Took 35 gallons so I still had over 20 gallons left or over 250 miles of range. IMO this is not bad compared to the 460 truck which would be getting 9-10 MPG in similar driving. I have a feeling the retarded timing was the major factor in low MPG.

I still have to clean the engine and check for any fuel leaks, but I can tell there are no major leaks. Feels like it has a lot more power when cold advance is on so I may advance timing from 9* to either 9.5* or 10* after I've had more time to establish current MPG. I've also thought about wrapping the up pipe and getting a turbo blanket. Not sure how that would affect MPG but I've read some that indicated is does make a noticeable difference in how quick the turbo spools. I'll probably wait for that until I find a ZF5 in case I need to change the exhaust plumbing to accommodate that. No luck finding a ZF5 so far, but that can wait until warmer weather since the truck won't fit in the garage enough to close the door and warm things up. When I do that I'll probably have the engine out for a proper cleaning, reseal, and head studs anyhow.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright Guys how are you getting so good of mpg? My single cab long bed '89 f250 4wd sitting on 33/12.50's is getting like 9 city and 10 highway. It's no turbo ad turned up two flats with a e4od I can go 55mph at about 1800-1900 rpms and 70 at about 2300 rpms. That's with 4.10 gears. Some one said my timing might be off? How do I adjust the timing? Is there a screw I can turn to advance/retard the timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin