Lost Tire, and Fender.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After finally getting my front end right and new tires I was making a ride to the upstate. The truck was running great and all was well. Then I began to notice a slight shimmy, then shake. I dropped my speed to then began to look for someplace to hop off the highway then it happened with a load BOOM! :eek: Glancing in the rear view I noticed the tractor trailer that was trying to push me swerve into the passing lane as a cloud of white disappeared behind me and into his grill. I wrestled the steering for a sec then steered toward the elane to inspect the damage. As I looked back toward the rear tires I notice immediately the absence of my fender -cuss.

I managed to limp off the highway and to a tire store 2-3 miles from the exit and back on the road. Saddened by the fact that my Truck now looks terrible I managed to make my destination and returned w/ no other events, thankfully.

Now I need a fender so trips to the parts yard is in order. Hopefully I will find replacement at a reasonable price (read cheap LOL )

I just wanted to pass on the news. Misery love company :rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Misery also loves pictures, soooooo......... hint hint.

Sorry to hear about that, but by the sounds of it you handled it about as well as you possibly could have. A front tire blowing on the highway is no laughing matter. Glad you kept things under control.

Oh, reread your post, it was the REAR fender that went. my bad

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which tire blew, inboard or outboard? Whichever it is, inspect the other for damage. Also, what size were the tires? I got 235s and I looked at them yesterday and I got like 1/2" between the sidewalls, bit too close for my liking really...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Was these new tires or did you only put new on the fronts?If they were new I would contact the company that made them and see what they think.For a tire to fail that quick was a faulty tire and the might be liable for the repairs since tires have to be inspected big time.After the Ford Exploder and firestone thing,I bet the tire companies do NOT want this going main stream!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you described reads like a typical broken steel-belt situation.

The steel-belt breaks in one spot, thus the weakness created lets the air-pressure bulge the tire all out of shape.

Sometimes, the tire will shed it's tread like a snake shedding skin.

Or, the tire that went could have went flat without your knowing, you kept driving until heat built up enough for it to blow.

Either case would have caused the shaking you felt, and either case would have caused the tire to blow.

If it was a broken belt, then the tire manufacturer is liable; if it was an un-noticed flat tire, then the fault is your own.

The tire manufacturer will disect that casing more closely than a NCIS autopsy, and if they find a nail, screw, wire, or whatever, then it was just a flat tire.

What brand was the tire ??

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was an outboard tire. Nothing really to photograph the only thing left is the flange that mounts to the side of the bed; a big gaping hole. The tire was an older tire, but in good condition. The two inside tires are new, the outside ones were going to be replaced to match. So now I will have a brand new spare Mastercraft, once I match the Eldorados up.

Ive looking around new fender will run about 350 w/ shipping. I have to get to some local parts yards to see what they have.

Thanks for the support!

Oh yeah I'm in Alabama.

Last edited:

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
The tire manufacturer will disect that casing more closely than a NCIS autopsy, and if they find a nail, screw, wire, or whatever, then it was just a flat tire.

I think it would be hard to do a more thorough job than Dr. Mallard... Of course, he does have a happy goth to help him out with the lab work.LOL

Back to topic,

That stinks about your fender. On of my biggest fears is a blowout on the highway. Sounds like you handled it alright though. :thumbsup:

discbrks

Reaction score
It was an outboard tire. Nothing really to photograph the only thing left is the flange that mounts to the side of the bed; a big gaping hole. The tire was an older tire, but in good condition. The two inside tires are new, the outside ones were going to be replaced to match. So now I will have a brand new spare Mastercraft, once I match the Eldorados up.

Ive looking around new fender will run about 350 w/ shipping. I have to get to some local parts yards to see what they have.

Thanks for the support!

Oh yeah I'm in Alabama.

Where in Alabama? I have a pair of dually fenders from a '97 p/stroke. I'm in Columbus, Ga... right on the GA/AL border. Send me a pm if interested.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough break. Guess it could have been worse. Keep your chin up! Other than the cost, it's an easy do it yourself fix I would hope.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in Dothan about 1.5 hrs away. Will 97 work on a 92, How much are you asking? I have to head that way next week or so anyway.

I have family there so we are in Columbus often.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK from '92 to '97 the cab and bed are the same. There was no '98 F350. '99 had the new big cab and new bed.

discbrks

Reaction score
I'll take 200 for one fender, or 375 for the pair. You're welcome to come take a look at them. Just give me a call some time. I sent you my number in a pm.

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SHWWEEEET! Well I am definitely interested in the passenger side, and have to dump the coin jar to see about the drivers side. I'll call ya very soon! What color btw?

Thanks!!