Losing coolant from what looks like behind the flywheel.

Gaboo

Reaction score
Ok so it appears I’m losing all the fluid from the weep hole. What does this mean? Busted water pump? While I’m in here is there anything else that I should replace? Any last tips for the water pump replacement step? Thanks for all the help with getting the fan clutch off

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep coolant out of the weep hole means a bad water pump. When you replace the water pump, its a good idea to replace the thermostat too. For the thermostat only use motorcraft, and for the water pump I personally like the flowcooler one, it has an upgraded impeller to allow better coolant flow and is what i am running in my truck. When you install the new pump, the center bolts that threads into the timing cover need to be sealed due to being exposed to the oil. Either a thread sealant or silicone will work for this.

Gaboo

Reaction score
Yep coolant out of the weep hole means a bad water pump. When you replace the water pump, its a good idea to replace the thermostat too. For the thermostat only use motorcraft, and for the water pump I personally like the flowcooler one, it has an upgraded impeller to allow better coolant flow and is what i am running in my truck. When you install the new pump, the center bolts that threads into the timing cover need to be sealed due to being exposed to the oil. Either a thread sealant or silicone will work for this.
Everything I needed to know thanks a ton Philip

Gaboo

Reaction score
I would prefer to pick up parts local because school starts in a week. Is the flowkooler water pump worth the wait and extra cash? Does it help the engine run a bunch cooler?

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I havent had the chance to run my truck enough due to me rebuilding it to say one way or another. If you are on a time constraint however I would say get the parts store pump.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Unless you absolutely have to have it right now. If that's the case, it's better to get what you can to get it going and then swap to a Flow Kooler later. It takes some time, but removing the fan is probably the most difficult part of the whole thing.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm working on this right now. You need a new water pump. To hold the pulley you can wedge a large screw driver between one of the pulley bolts and the water pump shaft. Either that or you get the Ford fan clutch removal tool. Either way, that ******* is on there pretty tight. I had to get two really long torque amplifiers on my wrenches to get it to bust loose and I was the one who installed it last, lol. It basically is constantly tightening itself, hence the left handed threads.

Edit: Oh sorry, i guess you already got the clutch off. Sweet! Get an Airtex water pump. They are OEM. I think O'Riley's has them. I just picked one up from Ebay.

According to the Ford manual, you need to put thread sealant on the top two bolts and the bottom two bolts. The new pump will probably come with instruction, but if you have an original water pump you need to install the new top two shorter bolts. The new waterpumps have a lesser thickness at the top. If you install the OEM original bolts, they are too long and will run into the timing gear and rip everything apart when you start the engine up. So yeah... make sure you look at that. Or bar the engine over a couple times after you're done to make sure nothing is binding.

Last edited:

Gaboo

Reaction score
I'm working on this right now. You need a new water pump. To hold the pulley you can wedge a large screw driver between one of the pulley bolts and the water pump shaft. Either that or you get the Ford fan clutch removal tool. Either way, that ******* is on there pretty tight. I had to get two really long torque amplifiers on my wrenches to get it to bust loose and I was the one who installed it last, lol. It basically is constantly tightening itself, hence the left handed threads.

Edit: Oh sorry, i guess you already got the clutch off. Sweet! Get an Airtex water pump. They are OEM. I think O'Riley's has them. I just picked one up from Ebay.

According to the Ford manual, you need to put thread sealant on the top two bolts and the bottom two bolts. The new pump will probably come with instruction, but if you have an original water pump you need to install the new top two shorter bolts. The new waterpumps have a lesser thickness at the top. If you install the OEM original bolts, they are too long and will run into the timing gear and rip everything apart when you start the engine up. So yeah... make sure you look at that. Or bar the engine over a couple times after you're done to make sure nothing is binding.

The new pump only came with 2 screws?? I’m going to go check the packaging and see if there is some instructions but any thoughts on which 2 go into the crankcase or whatever that gets messed up?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The box should have the instructions for those bolts. I stole this pic for you. See the notation on the top two bolts? See the other notation on the top and bottom two bolts.

Gaboo

Reaction score
The box should have the instructions for those bolts. I stole this pic for you. See the notation on the top two bolts? See the other notation on the top and bottom two bolts.
Thank you

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's also suppose to have aviation permatex #3 lightly coated on both surfaces including the 4 bolts dgr mentioned

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk