Losing coolant from what looks like behind the flywheel.

Gaboo

Reaction score
What the heck is going on. I cant locate a hose that’s leaking and it appears I’m losing coolant from behind the flywheel. Any ideas? Is there a gasket back there?

You must be registered for see images attach

That’s the highest point I can locate. If you’re a diesel tech in Boston I’d also be happy to pay someone to take a look if I can’t figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not the flywheel. That top pair of pulleys is the water pump.

It should have a weep hole on the bottom

Gaboo

Reaction score
That's not the flywheel. That top pair of pulleys is the water pump.

It should have a weep hole on the bottom
Super helpful thank you. Why would the weep hole be losing fluid could I just replace the water pump?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seal in the water pump is above the weep hole. When the seal goes bad, that is where it will leak. Water pump replacement is called for when they happens. But, clean it well and look carefully to make sure that's where it's leaking

Gaboo

Reaction score
Ok so remove the fan then the pump. Then clean what exactly? Dgr you the man

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You could take a garden hose and wash the coolant off of everything that you can see. Let it dry and then let the engine run for a while. Another thing to try is (while the engine's not running) to grab a couple of blades on the fan and try to rock them forward and back. If you can see/feel any movement at all, then it's time to replace your water pump, assuming that nothing on the fan itself is loose. The play in the water pump and it leaking coolant are often related. Sometimes, you only get one or the other so it's not a guarantee that you'll have both.

Gaboo

Reaction score
You could take a garden hose and wash the coolant off of everything that you can see. Let it dry and then let the engine run for a while. Another thing to try is (while the engine's not running) to grab a couple of blades on the fan and try to rock them forward and back. If you can see/feel any movement at all, then it's time to replace your water pump, assuming that nothing on the fan itself is loose. The play in the water pump and it leaking coolant are often related. Sometimes, you only get one or the other so it's not a guarantee that you'll have both.
There’s no play at all weirdly but the water pumps bearing must be cooked because it doesn’t spin well. So is the issue that the water pump doesn’t seal against the coolant channels that go into the engine? I’m just having a hard time visualizing.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There’s no play at all weirdly but the water pumps bearing must be cooked because it doesn’t spin well. So is the issue that the water pump doesn’t seal against the coolant channels that go into the engine? I’m just having a hard time visualizing.

If it's the water pump leaking out of the weep hole, then the seal is bad, but the bearings inside are still ok. Either way, if the pump is leaking, it's time to replace it. It is possible that the gasket behind the water pump is leaking although it doesn't seem to happen very often. You'll have to do some checking.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way, grab a new water pump and just swap it out. IMHO, get some Permatex 1-minute gasket and use that for your gasket sealing; once assembled you can just fill it with coolant and drive it, no waiting unlike most RTVs.

You'll need to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and get all the old gasket off; I use a (steel) wire wheel on an angle grinder for this myself -- it'll remove any rust, but won't really eat into steel plates and surfaces, though it'll polish it a bit.

Gaboo

Reaction score
Alright, thank you guys I’ll remove the fan and all that good stuff and see what I find

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: Fan has left-hand threads. It can be a ***** to get loose. There are several threads on removal and replacement...I’d advise you to read a couple of them.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave the belts on and tensioned until you get the fan loose. A hammer on the wrench worked for me.

Gaboo

Reaction score
Hey fellas any tips to keep the belts from spinning? Having trouble getting enough leverage to use a hammer. Also a reverse thread would be front fly wheel pressure clockwise correct?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jamb a thin piece of wood between the belt and the pulley groove.