Looking for power, need advice from smart people

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Looking for power (now with mediocre review of Juice/Attitude!)

Before I start, I've spent countless hours here sifting through the information already posted. So I've tried to answer my questions myself but either the threads got derailed or it's old information. (Another board I'm on consistently beats down members for asking questions already answered, regardless of how easy they are to find.)

My truck is basically stock. It is a 2005, automatic. I've put on a S&B cold air intake, and cut the muffler out (cat is still in place). The next step wil be gauges. I understand the importance of monitoring EGTs. What else do I need to know about? Trans temp maybe, considering I'm running the stock automatic transmission?

Now that I've got air flow handled, and gauges will be addressed, I'm looking at a programmer. I've got a lot of places I can blow money, and the transmission doesn't rank very high on that list. What kind of power levels can I expect the transmission to take, and what would you recommend? I lke Edge's Attitude monitor, but the Juice is probably more than I can handle. The EZ is probably more in line with what I need, but my understanding is that it doesn't work with either the Attitude or the new A2 monitor. I also like the Bully Dog Power Pup, but I don't like the look of the Outlook Monitor as much. The Power Pup, from what I have read, may be slightly easier on the truck than the EZ. I like the idea of the Attitude/A2 or Outlook because that takes care of gauges as well. But I'm open to suggestions.

Future plans involve maybe strengthening the transmission, going from the stock exhaust to a dual setup, and maybe cutting the catalytic coverter out. I just saw a 3rd gen driving down the street, and my truck definitely doesn't sound like that. Anyway, after that, I think I'll call her good for a while.

So,
- what gauges do I need, and why?
- how much power can I put to the stock 48RE?
- how should I go about doing that?

I'm also looking for a diesel shop in Grande Prairie, AB, because I'll be moving there in December, if anybody knows of one.

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've got a lot of places I can blow money, and the transmission doesn't rank very high on that list.
:eek: Oh Oh!!!!! After gauges, that should be one of the first things you address.
I don't run a slushbox, but I've read they're good for an extra 60hp.
So if you're going to run on 1st or second level of "the box"
what ever brand you choose you'll be ok, but that's only level 2.
what gauges do I need, and why?
The style is entirely up to you, what you think looks good.
But you'll want pyro, trans temp, and boost. The latter is
the least important, but has a cool factor included.
I just saw a 3rd gen driving down the street, and my truck definitely doesn't sound like that.
If you cut out your cat (which you don't need anyways) it will.:)
Or better yet, replace the stock system with a complete
mandrel bent 4" system, helps with egt's too.
Another board I'm on consistently beats down members for asking questions already answered
Tell them to get stuffed, you can get all the help you need,
and the abuse you desire, right here, at one convenient location.:)
Don't feel bad asking questions, how else are you going to learn?
I'm also looking for a diesel shop in Grande Prairie, AB, because I'll be moving there in December, if anybody knows of one.
I'll get back to you on that. I've got 2 or 3 guys on another board,
in that neck of the woods I talk to periodically, I'll find out who they use.
And welcome to the site, (fairly new guy).

LIPD

Owner LIPD & Fuel
Reaction score
as for guages - pyro, trans & boost - i suggest the autometer kits you get everything you need in one box

as for a module the quadzilla boxes either the xzt 65hp box or the xillaraider 0-30-60-100 or the xillaraider race 0-60-100-130

we are currently running a special on both items till the end on the month.

Whit

Reaction score
You need a fuel psi gauge too, manditory to monitor the weak link of the truck, if not and you loose a lift pump it puts the CP3 in double jeprody. The 48re is tough enough to handle a mild box but if you want some big power it will need beefed up. The exhaust you have is 4" all the way now with the only restriction being the cat......get the hint? I would consider a good air filter to help get that cool massive quantites of air in there.

Cheers, Kevin

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Rubberfish, I've heard that the stock transmission that it's good to 700lb-ft. I don't know if that's true, but it sounds like it will take a bit of added power anyway. I want to put on an MBRP dual exhaust (or something like it), and if that seems not offensive then the cat is coming out.

LIPD, do the Quadzilla boxes come with monitors like Edge's or Bully Dog's? That's where those really shine, in my opinion. Gauges I think would clutter things, and I don't want to lose the A-pillar on the driver's side. Less clutter = more gooder. The A2's reverse camera thing would be nice too, because I'm going to back into something soon. After doing some research, the XZT costs way less than I thought it would.

Whitmore, in your signature you say your wife has a truck similar to mine. Has she upgraded the transmission, and how does she like the Power Pup?

I don't need a lot of power. I don't pull anything, I don't haul anything. But if I was going to go into the transmssion, what would I address first? Torque converter? Valvebody? Swap the whole thing? I'm a little tentative to be upgrading to aftermarket parts on a truck that's 23,000km old.

But on the other hand, I'm hoping I can trade this truck off in a year, so it's just got to hold on that long. I screwed up and just got the SLT, didn't get the Laramie. That'll change, first chance I get.

rubberfish

Reaction score
killer said:
I'm hoping I can trade this truck off in a year, so it's just got to hold on that long.

Well this puts a whole new light on things:) :) :)
If you're just going to turn it in at the end of a lease,
the heck with gauges and trans upgrades,
stack a couple of boxes and enjoy :peelout

Although,,,that's just me, I've always been
******* rentals and courtesy cars. :rotflmao

Back on a serious note, Kevin brought up a good point
about a fuel pressure gauge, very important.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I thought that the rotary pump that was the problem ended it's reign in like 03 or earlier. I was under the impression that this newest verison was not suspectable to fuel pressure loss....

MUDDY

Reaction score
well, the cp3 isnt as like to have problems caused by fuel prssr loss like the old vp44 but runnning for long term with no or low pressure can hurt it. just takes a while. the bad thing about the little weak liftpumps from the factory on these new ones it can be pulled down to 1 or 2 psi with just minor mods. over time they get weaker. my 3gens i used fp guage and replace factory liftpump with a carter 4601hp. of course i was at 450 rwhp too

i would recomend loosing the ****. ya already got a full 4inch and have lost the cat. the factory **** is restrictive

ya mentioned the ez. i would not use that box as it is rail pressure increase only. harder on the injectors and the valve in the rail.

ive had good luck with the bdog dl'er. if ran in the tow mode taint gonna strain the trans. the performnce mode 90hp ya will be ok if you be careful. dont tow on the level with stock trans.

if ya use the 50hp level ya shouldnt need guages since ya dont tow. the 90hp level ya may be ok if ya dont hold the go pedal down for a long duration. i wouldnt want to go guageless though. my 3gens had 2 pyros, a boost, a fuel prssr guage, trans temp on tranny and rear. if i was doing it id go analog guages and do all of em just to be safe. they can transfer over to the next truck ya get in a year along with the dl'er

Attachments

• 03salebrnsmokesmall.jpg
    03salebrnsmokesmall.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
killer said:
Whitmore, in your signature you say your wife has a truck similar to mine. Has she upgraded the transmission, and how does she like the Power Pup?QUOTE]

The power pup is great! very easy 5 minute load thru the data port under the steering column then ya unhook it and put it in the house, we run on the performance level and it is sweet, we never to nothin with her truck so gauges arent a big issue, we do monitor fuel psi though and we can pull it down to 5 psi with the pup. The 48re tranny is stock since we dont tow and have had zero problems with it. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Kevin

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Okay then, this is confirming a lot that I knew already. I just didn't realize I knew it. I figured some of the boxes wouldn't be too ******* things. What I didn't know is that the EZ increased rail pressure. I thought it did everything but.

A kid from around home just bought an F-350 Amarillo, put a box on it and stretched the head bolts a few days later (so the story goes, anyway). I want to make sure I don't do something stupid like him.

MUDDY

Reaction score
killer said:
A kid from around home just bought an F-350 Amarillo, put a box on it and stretched the head bolts a few days later (so the story goes, anyway). I want to make sure I don't do something stupid like him.

well, thats on a 6LEAKER. :) i can see where he made a couple mistakes ;)

common sense and moderation are what ya wish to go after. with no guages and a stock turbo and stock trans mild to medium power settings on the bullydog pup are what ya want for your useage. timing/duration with low rail pressure increase

when ya swap to a new one equipped how ya want with the laramie pckg etc then ya can get serious on the power with the correct upgrades and ya wont have to worry, unlike the f-350 kid, about your engine being able to take the mods. we have local members here in the 600 to 700 rwhp range whos owners abuse em and they keep on runnin and running well with no ill effects. these cummins are great powerplants

LIPD

Owner LIPD & Fuel
Reaction score
LIPD, do the Quadzilla boxes come with monitors like Edge's or Bully Dog's? That's where those really shine, in my opinion. they do not that is way we suggest gauges. Quad XZT box and gauges run about 500-550 for the whole setup.

A2 is a nice setup but is fairly $$$ - however it does offer so many products in one package that it is worth the $$ if you have it.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
killer,

I know you mentioned the Edge Juice/Attitude is more than you can handle, but take a moment and look at it like this. It gets you all the HP you want and more, it has safety EGT defueling, it also has the gauge package you need built in. You like the looks of it and it's really easy to install as wel as compared to mechanical gauges and an outboard box like some you have mentioned. Now compare the price of a set of quality gauges, and a mount and a programmer or box and the difference isn't much to worry about as compared to the cost of a J/Attitude when you compare the features and benefits etc. Plus we have a speical oilburners.com J/A price that makes it even better etc. Call us if you have any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The juice would be a great choice, you can pick what setting you want to use and you get gauges. I have a comp, I just don't use all the settings right now. Good luck. See ya

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my suggestions, from what i have seen in the dealership...stay away from tst..bad idea. it has no fuel managment built in. imo the edge attitude is the best one out there..built in gauges...tons of overrides built in to save your engine/trans. i installed one on a guys truck, he had a 6sp, but in the instructions..it explained that it has a built in override for automatic transmission slipping. if it sees a diff in engine rpm and t/c rpm, it starts to defuel as to prevent slipping...although if you run into that situation your running it too high anyway. as for your trans, itself, so far they have proven themselves 100 times stronger than previous years. with proper care and maintanence, youll be in good shape, but if you want to push the hp envelope a little harder, youll need a t/c and valve body upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726