Looking for input on an idea...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ +1; plus, wrt. wiring, there's no free lunch. If you put the inverter forward, then the wiring going back to the outlets in the bed will have to be larger to accomodate the current over the longer distance. If anything, I'd move the dedicated battery AND the inverter back. That way, the wiring from battery to inverter and inverter to outlets are all short, and the only long wires are alternator to third battery. Charge current to that battery should be less than load current battery-to-inverter or inverter-to-outlets.
The only problem here are that voltage drop on charge current matters more, at least to quick charging(yes, as the current drops, the voltage drop will disappear too); the inverter can handle a bit lower voltage without issue.

The question I have to ask is how much you really intend to use from this setup, in watt-hours? Is it just running a power tool occasionally for a couple of minutes of runtime, or running an entire jobsite for hours?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an inverter behind my seat for a long time - 1500 watt square wave that would do up to 3k for short bursts. Right behind the cab in a box is almost the same distance.

I had it fused to my group 31s, powering little things was no problem (tool battery chargers, phone chargers, whatever else). The only time I made sure to start the truck up was if it was a high draw device (heat gun, blow dryer, mini-fridge, etc...). It wouldn't be too hard to make a simple circuit that starts the truck whenever it gets below a set voltage, if similar products don't already exist? Power to the fss, momentary power to the starter until alternator voltage kicks in, maybe high idle?

My inverter was setup to turn off before draining the batteries too far down. I also used it with extension cords frequently. My tool batteries, even the biggest battery only holds maybe 175 watts or so (milwaukee 18v 9a) - not accounting for conversion losses for going from 12vdc to 110vac back to tool dc voltage, and the charger efficiency and other such issues.

Most group 31s have a 20hr capacity rating, I don't recall mine but I found a cheap one with over 100ah at the 20hr rating, that is at least 10 amps an hour of constant usage from two g31s - 120-130 watts an hour or more depending on the batteries. Most 12v tool batteries have much less capacity than that, as well as most 18V. Some have chargers that can run off 12v to save some conversion losses.

Also if you discharge faster than that 20hr rate you lose some of the capacity, if you discharge slower you gain some. Also most people recommend not discharging a battery beyond 50% for longer lifespan.

Another issue I didn't see covered here is square versus sine wave inverters. Cheaper inverters use square wave, some things can handle that fine but others don't like it - usually televisions from what I've seen. In general most things will consume more power on square IIRC. Sine wave inverters cost more for the same wattage, but provide the same power you would get from a residential outlet.

What do you hope to power?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would only be used for the occasional power tool. Like I said, not planning on it being my main source of power for anything, much less a full job. Its more of a, "this repair job is gonna take 5 min of grinding so I don't feel like dragging a generator out so I'm just gonna plug into the truck."

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son to answer your question directly, it will only be powering simple hand tools occasionally for a few minutes and charging cordless tool batteries.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Son to answer your question directly, it will only be powering simple hand tools occasionally for a few minutes and charging cordless tool batteries.
Uh...just a thought here...

Why not pick up a 12v automotive cordless tool charger instead....

I know I will be aquirimg at least 1 perhaps 2 x 12 V chargers for my Milwaukee M18 batteries..

Just sayin...could end up being less hassle...

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh...just a thought here...

Why not pick up a 12v automotive cordless tool charger instead....

I know I will be aquirimg at least 1 perhaps 2 x 12 V chargers for my Milwaukee M18 batteries..

Just sayin...could end up being less hassle...

Because then I can't power a corded tool when I need to. And I do custom fabrications, if I can figure out a slick way to incorporate 110V outlets into a custom toolbox I'm working on then that just adds another option for people that want a custom toolbox. Which means more work and more of da monies for me!

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking... Probably gonna install a deep cell or two just to be safe though. Seeing as how portable jumpers are practically useless on these tractors lol