Looking for an autoglass housecall

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know an auto glass guy who lives near me and does side work? My neighbor used to do it, but like a dummy he forgot he ebayed off all his tools, and says he can't help me now. (this after promising to help me, and having me buy materials to do the job :rolleyes: ) I need somebody to come and do a windsheild transplant on the Moose Truck, and I'm certainly not going to waltz into some Joe Schmoe autoglass repair place and have them do it. Not since I'll need to take the Lund sun visor off and put a blanket over my $1000 hood, and pray they don't lean the ladder into the side of the truck. ;Really

RedTruck

Reaction score
Mel,

Just food for thought, but you could have the windshield trim removed at a glass shop. Then take out the old window, buy some 3M windshield cement at your local jobber and have a buddy help you install it. Then bring your rig back to have the trim reinstalled.

I bought the $20 tool for removing winshields. It works very well if you have your glass warm up in the sunlight for a while...this can also be accomplished with a propane torch as you use the tool.

I'm no expert, but it really doesn't seem as hard as a guy thinks.

my .02

Paul

94johnh

Reaction score
Mel

I have replaced my windshield 3 times now called one of the shops from the phone book. Was only about 120 bucks including the windshield . So
I would call around and see what they charge to install..(messy job)
(also keep track of all the clips and trim..original clips work better than replacement).

john

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your 83 does not have an airbag, you can use the old style "rope" sealer to install the windshield. It's not that hard to put one in, I did the job on my old wrecker. It was easier though because the old windshield had already been cut out (and I drove like that for a month or so not knowing that all that held it in was gravity and the windshield wipers).

If you want a real nice job, find a glass shop where the owner does the work. Most of the "mobile" guys are just interested in getting it done as quickly as possible.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Well if'n you were a wee bit closer I could pull something off. The guy I do side jobs for striping the county squad cars does glass installing and a heck of a job too. It's amazing some of the crap jobs that I've helped him dig out trying to install new glass.:puke:
Gotta remember them things are installed to stay in place upon collisions.
Saw one that was only about 60% sealed. The windshield leaked like a sieve and would have popped out like like someone squeezing a grape if it would have been hit.:eek:
The drive would be a ****** though.:dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726