Looking at a new truck

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a new to me truck on CL and I read somewhere on here that there are different frame widths between cab/chassis trucks and factory bed trucks. The reason i ask is because my truck has an autocrane bed and came as a cab/chassis and i would want to put my bed on the "new" truck. Does anyone know if this swap will work or what are the frame widths so i can measure my bed? Also i am pretty computer illiterate so if someone can help me out i will post the CL ad for everyone to see

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need to make sure my bed will clear 37.5"? Are there any bed mounts or anything on the frame that would need to be removed?

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link I will have to measure my bed to see if it will fit.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frame rails are differnt width as well as the Axle perch and the wheel width. If you put a C&C bed on a regular dually the outer duals will be wider than the bed and likely rub the wheel well if the axle flexes.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that my bed is plenty wide so that wont be a problem but when i get to my shop tomorrow i will have to measure how wide my bed is. Why do they make them different widths, are the cab mounts the same and could the rear of my frame be grafted onto the rear of the new truck?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From your 2 posts it sounds like you do not have a true cab and chassis but F350 Regular bed just like what you are looking at but its hard to get 5.13 gear in that model so you need to figure out what you ACTUALLY have.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
# of lugs would be a great start, then measure the width of your current bed. There will also be a tag on your axle or check your vin # for axle ratio.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an 8 lug currently with 3broke off on dr side dont have the bed width now and the vin is2FDKF37M8KCB5624

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I posted the differences between the F350 and 450/F-Superduty in your other thread. I see here that you have 8 lugs indicating an F350. Your cab and chassis frame should be 34" from rail to rail. this would be a common measurement between the 350 and 450's.

The pick up version of the F350 has 37 1/2 inches between rails. I am pretty sure that the pick ups have 3" leaves and the c&c models have 2 or 2 1/2 inch wide springs as space becomes a premium as the axle gets narrower.

If I were in your shoes, I would look into sourcing an F-Superduty from California as they will be obsolete by next year so they will be dumping them at a reasonable price I presume. Your F350 is WAY overweight at the 15,000lb mark and somebody put those 5:13's in there for a reason, so you don't look like this as you go down the road.:frustrate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828