looked at an '86 this weekend, got some ?'s

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
wow where to even start! the body is in ROUGH shape and the bed is pretty nice< flatbed made by a welding shop! ;Sweet

onto the important part. the motor says that it's a remanned motor (or something like that) what exactly does that mean? it was 10 degrees out and the truck hadn't been started in 3 weeks and it had a little trouble starting but ran real good! but not a truck to be driving on the interstate all the time!

another thing what is a truck like this worth? 4x4 automatic...

all's they told us was to make an offer.

just looking for some insight, and I've read the 6.9 tech on what to look for!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends who remanufactured the engine.... And how it was done. Assuming it is a 6.9L engine, they can be safely overbored and rebuilt..

It really doesn't mean anything other that at some point in time the engine was replaced. It could have been when the truck had 5K miles on it and the original engine blew... Unless youc an verify the age and mileage on the reman I see no value in it.

The thing with the body being rough (I assume rust) is that the bed probably rusted off, and the frame is probably rusted too. I once bought an 88 F250, and when I got it home I discovered that the frame was rusted through and broken behind the front wheel where I couldn't see it until I was under the truck looking at an exhaust leak.

If I'm right about the frame being rusty, I'd value the truck at the price of the motor and flatbed. With rust, it's easy to spend more than the truck is worth trying to fix things. You might be better off buying it as a parts truck than trying to fix it to be something good..

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I cant stand people like that, "make me an offer." " ok, I'll give ya 200 bucks"
Seriously, Id probably offer like 500 bucks n go from there.
Remanned motor, Id tend to lean towards new pistons, rings, all new bearings, gaskets, bored cylinders, polished crank, new valve train? maybe except pushrods, n rockers, n valves? I think, Remanned and rebuilt are esentially the same thing. At least its been gone through with new gaskets n stuff like that. Thats always a good thing.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
the motor came from ford, there's a couple of stickers on the motor. now who put it in is another question. knowing the PO the flat bed has been on it since it was new, but the guys that have it now inherited it w/ a shop they recently bought, and the truck was used as a welding truck! so it's life has not been real easy. we looked at the frame on it and didn't appear to be rusted to bad! key word appear!

the body has the usual IL problems, rusted fenders and rocker panels, but the rough part probably came from the fact that he welded w/ this truck for years, meaning he went out and fixed equipment in the fields for farmers! so the back of the cab is dented here, but that's the only dents anywhere on it!

I don't really need it as a parts truck since none of the parts are interchangeable w/ an '00 Cummins!

If anyone is interested in the truck shoot me a PM and I'll get ya the contact info!

thanks ya'll!

aaklingler

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i go and call it a parts truck yet, it runs and drive and you haven't found any major problems. I agree you could offer 500, but i think it is probably worth atleast 1000, is the bed steel.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I think it's probably worth about 2500, only b/c of the 4x4.

I'd start at about 500 - cash.

That will speak to those guys as they can hide the cash if they feel like it.

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
oh yeah, steel bed. heavy duty for sure> and no major problems w/ the truck. an oil leak down the front of the motor onto the A-frame and down on the Punkin!? no idea, didn't track it down to far!

the motor runs real strong and started just fine! for sure has the potential of being a dmn nice truck!
but it's just not what I need right now!

that's why I said if any of ya'll are interested in it, let me know!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, well there's a world of difference between "beat up" and rusted. The frame was my biggest concern.

Figuring a value is hard without being able to see it....

Is this a F250 or F350? Straight axle or TTB? An older 1 ton 4x4 diesel would be worth fixing...

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
I'm think'n it's a F-250 but not real sure> wasn't looking at the exterior to much, was more concerned w/ what was under the hood, and where the shifter was located!

and it's a straight axle,

I wouldn't say that the truck is "beat up", just "used"

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I just used the 500 bucks for a good starting point, whats the guy gunna do, say nope, wrong answer, guess again! lol
Its probably worth more. To bad it isnt a 1 ton dually, im lookin for a good 4wheel standard cab diesel to flatbed for a sweet "farm" truck. I thought 86 was TTB?? or did the 3/4's have a 44 up front?

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
ok... may have been my error>> TTB??? I say the straight and jumped to a single rear wheel or a dually... didn't even read the rest!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years of the 80's style 3/4 ton had a straight axle available as an option (F250 HD). That setup is definitely superior to the TTB, especially if you are plowing.

Let's say we are talking a straight front axle (3/4 or 1 ton) diesel and 4x4, with a good frame (not rusted) I think $500 is a little low. Figure you could pick up a good gasser cab or a whole gasser pickup for a few hundred and have a older, good truck.